GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 Front and Rear Brake Upgrade - Save $350 from ECS

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Apparently I have a reputation of putting together kits for cheap. So without further delay, I bring to you the Staulkor R32 Front Brake Upgrade Kit (lol).

ECS charges $1300 for R32 front brakes with blue calipers and plain rotors or you can get plain (silver) calipers instead for $1015 for the kit. They charge $285 more for blue calipers even though there is zero price difference directly from VW.

Also note that drilled and slotted rotors are technically WORSE in terms of performance. They may look cool depending on your personal tastes, but they are worse for performance.

Now I haven't actually ordered anything yet. I plan to get this kit when I have money for it, probably in a few months. So be warned that I accept no responsibility in the accuracy of everything on this list. I have tried my best but I cant guarantee anything.

*** FRONT BRAKES ***

*** REAR BRAKES ***

Now I chose not to go with ECS stainless lines because they are absolute garbage and not worth the cardboard box they are shipped in. They normally sell for $60 for the front set. I am going with Neuspeed stainless lines which are $155 for all four corners. Unfortunately there is no way to just buy the front pair and the rear lines will not (most likely, dont know for sure) work on the stock GTI rear calipers.

Also, I have added in the price of Hawk HPS R32 front pads.

So do the math and you will save $350 and get far superior stainless lines.

Note the ECS kit DOES NOT include brake pads either. So tack on an extra hundred for pads.

So what do you think? How many will now get R32 brakes now that I have pieced together another cheap kit to save you money :headbang:

Last edited:

utekineir

Banned
nice, good work putting it all together into a list for people, ecs putting the part numbers and links of whats in the brake kits onto their pages has been great.

another way for cheap r32 brakes is to wait for a holiday autotech.com coupon like they always post on vortex, the rears in particular were dirt cheap off their site with the coupon from around thanksgiving.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei

Rear brake information. I saved you $125 from ECS. Add in brake pads and its still cheaper than ECS (which doesn't come with brake pads!)

Enjoy guys.

billybobbovine

wants to go fast
Car(s)
GTI
Looking at ECS site...they must have dropped prices 1250 for the blue/plain rotor front and 686.75 for blue/plain rears...still no pads and the supposedly shitty lines though

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang
The passat also comes with the same 345mm rotors and I would assume the same calipers. Could be nice if you don't want the blue paint. Also, on genuinevwaudiparts.com, they have the passat calipers listed as "w/ 345mm rotor". If that means the rotors are included that would be great, as it would eliminate about $140 as per staulkors spreadsheet. Heres the link to the passat calipers.
http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214407&chapter=&sectionids=19,2512&groupid=2513&subgroupid=2519&make=35&model=Passat%20sedan&year=2008&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

I'm going to assume that means for passats "w/ 345mm rotors" but i emailed just in case.

jakethemoss

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mercedes Sprinter
STAULKOR,

The rear brake lines are the same for both standard GTI and R32/S3. so a few bucks saved there also :headbang:

I reused the standard gti brakelines when fitting R32 rears

:thumbup:

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Yea I know they are the same, but neuspeed doesnt sell just front. They only sell front AND rear :/

GTIWV

WV VW
Yea I know they are the same, but neuspeed doesnt sell just front. They only sell front AND rear :/

I could definately use a set of rear lines!

and i was looking at this also, i also have a spread sheet set up of the prices at different places.

you might also want to check out cioccaparts.com/vw they tend to be a bit cheaper than genuinevwaudiparts, and they are located in PA so they would ship alot faster.

Also

You need to make sure you get two of 4F0615269, the anti rattle clip.

and to save a bit mroe money if you were intersted, you can get these caliper carriers from ECS (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Braking/Big_Brake_OEM/ES8542/) and save a bit more. it doesnt matter if they are blue or not unless you get under the car, you wont see them.

And if you didnt want blue calipers, 1K0615124H is the part number for silver calipers

GTIWV

WV VW
The passat also comes with the same 345mm rotors and I would assume the same calipers. Could be nice if you don't want the blue paint. Also, on genuinevwaudiparts.com, they have the passat calipers listed as "w/ 345mm rotor". If that means the rotors are included that would be great, as it would eliminate about $140 as per staulkors spreadsheet. Heres the link to the passat calipers.
http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214407&chapter=&sectionids=19,2512&groupid=2513&subgroupid=2519&make=35&model=Passat%20sedan&year=2008&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

I'm going to assume that means for passats "w/ 345mm rotors" but i emailed just in case.

It doesnt come with the rotor, they put that there so people know what is what, which size rotor

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
At the risk of showing my VW "virgin-ness" could you tell me what these brake upgrades would do fo me? I'm guessing they use larger diameter rotors and/or more powerful calipers which should provide shorter stopping distanced and/or better fade resistance?

Last edited:

Zach L

VR junkie
At the risk of showing my VW "virgin-ness" could you tell me what these brake upgrades would do fo me? I'm guessing they use larger diameter rotors and/or more powerful calipers which should provide shorter stopping distanced and/or better fade resistance.

Just trying to determine the value of this (about $2,000 for bot frone and rear) on a GTI with low mileage and like new brakes. Or is this just for guys with cars needing brake jobs anyway? I could see if your GTI needed pads and rotors and if the upgrade was only a few hundred more.....
Larger diameter disc with a larger thickness as well, which makes for larger interior vents. The piston in the brake caliper is larger, and the pads have almost double the contact patch. All this adds up to more clamping force, better cooling, more fade resistance, and better overall braking.

Why is the R32/S3 upgrade better than aftermarket big brake kits? For one the kit is usually much cheaper, but more importantly - lower prices on replacement rotors and pads due to greater production volumes, more sources for replacement parts, and MANY more choices of brake pads.

Sure other BBKs perform slightly better and have a weight advantage, but I think for anyone without a treasure chest this is the best option.