GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 Flapper Mod

Donald32

Backseat Driver
Has any of the32 owners considered the flapper mod? It looks too simple. Wonder how noisy it would be in the32 on the freeway.

Panman

Frequent Modder
Has any of the32 owners considered the flapper mod? It looks too simple. Wonder how noisy it would be in the32 on the freeway.

Done it on mine. Not too bad, however could be considered a little "drony" on the highway by some...

Having said that I do a lot of long(ish) distance driving and it deosn't bother me enough to get under the car and reverse it....

And lord knows with Ian as a forum sponsor I spend a reasonable amount of time doing stuff to the car :tongue:

rennenhaus.com.au

that guy with the VW.....
Car(s)
mk5 r32
i love the sound of the car even more after the flapper mod, and i've managed to rack up near 28000km so far since getting mine 9 months ago..

i haven't really noticed the drone as much, but then i do find myself turning the radio down, openning the window and listening to my car more...

and you're right! it's an easy one to do.

and for those who want to read up on it more:

flapper mod

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
I haven't heard it on an MKV but I know it sounds sick on MKIV.. DO IT!!!! :thumbsup:

mikep

Ready to race!
I tried the Flapper mod briefly by clamping the line.

I found it OK for a short period however I doubt if I could live with it full time.

So I have decided to put a solenoid valve in the line so I can switch it on an off.

A visit to the wreckers and I found just the right valve (N/O) in the vacuum lines on a Toyota Corolla, cost $5.

I bought a VW switch from OEM that fits into the R/H blank space alongside the ESP and TPMS switches.

I now have to figure out the best place to mount the solenoid valve in the vacuum line that runs from the inlet manifold back the flapper valve.

The Mk IV R32 had a solenoid valve in the line for some reason however I do not think the Mk V has the valve, as I can't find one.

Its a lot of stuffing around compared to just blocking the line at the flapper, however as mentioned above I only want the extra noise when I want to hear it, not all the time.

MarioR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk5 R32 MY07
Cool Idea

Good idea..!!. id be up for that mod... post some pics when done... what does the VW switch look like?.... i like the idea of being able to switch it on and off...:thumbsup:
mario.
I tried the Flapper mod briefly by clamping the line.

I found it OK for a short period however I doubt if I could live with it full time.

So I have decided to put a solenoid valve in the line so I can switch it on an off.

A visit to the wreckers and I found just the right valve (N/O) in the vacuum lines on a Toyota Corolla, cost $5.

I bought a VW switch from OEM that fits into the R/H blank space alongside the ESP and TPMS switches.

I now have to figure out the best place to mount the solenoid valve in the vacuum line that runs from the inlet manifold back the flapper valve.

The Mk IV R32 had a solenoid valve in the line for some reason however I do not think the Mk V has the valve, as I can't find one.

Its a lot of stuffing around compared to just blocking the line at the flapper, however as mentioned above I only want the extra noise when I want to hear it, not all the time.

macca

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY08 Golf R32
Has anyone actually tested this mod beyond apparent noise levels? Does it have any effect on the low-range?

I know several high performance bikes have had similar valves or whatever in the exhaust tract, and forcing them to always open can had a negative impact on the bottom-end of the rev range where they're normally closed.

mikep

Ready to race!
Good idea..!!. id be up for that mod... post some pics when done... what does the VW switch look like?.... i like the idea of being able to switch it on and off...:thumbsup:
mario.

For the switch go to http://oempl.us/product_info.php?cPath=23_29&products_id=337&osCsid=33c0055a6baae91d53f690e64dc06a1e

The switch has a "W" on it for "Winter" or "Wot the ...." for the flapper control

It has a pin connection on it with some pretty small pins so I am presently trying to find a plug with leads that will fit or else find a way to solder some leads to the pins. VW never make anything easy !

So its a work in progress at the moment.