GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick Jack one year review

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So it’s been just over a year since I purchased my QuickJack 5500# model with DC power unit (ordered at the end of their father’s day sale 2018).

I probably average one use per week with it, so more than most, but far less than say a detail shop who’d use it several times daily. Overall it’s been solid and while more lift would definitely be welcome it’s far superior to a Jack and stands or ramps. I still look forward to a real two post lift if I can ever decide where I wanna live (stay in my current home and build a shop, or move on to bigger and better).

So really what drove me to want to write this review is the failure I experienced yesterday while attempting to use the QJ. Some how an internal o ring from a male quick disconnect fitting at the pump came unseated and actually came out the outlet of soda fitting. Needless to say only the other line would pressurize and it made a big ol ATF spill on my garage floor and driveway in spite of having cardboard under the pump as a precaution.

QJ isn’t open on the weekends, so I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow. Meanwhile I had to bust out the ol jack and jackstands to help return a smashed mk7 to stock before it heads to the junkyard. You really don’t relize how good you have it till you step back (lifting the car the old fashioned way).

Hopefully they’ll have replacement parts coming my way ASAP, be it on my dime or as a “close enough” since the 1 year warranty literally just expired.

Random pics, because everyone likes pictures.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Love mine, had it about a year as well. Ironically, had a lift piston failure that was o-ring/seal related as well. QJ sent me a replacement directly (purchased it at Costco) and said to junk the bad piston, they didn't need it back. Had it all back together in less than a week, great product and customer service. Saved this old man's back several times over old school way of getting cars in the air.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Man I want a full car jack so badly. Sucks to hear there seems to be an internal seal failure that is showing up, but at least they're covering it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Being 20ish days out of warranty they agreed to cover the fittings (sending the male and female at the source of the leak).

While I had them on the phone I poked around at replacement parts cost. It’s kind of lit a fire under my butt to move to a real two post lift as they’re not cheap:

Lift cylinders $325 each
Quick disconnect fitting $70 each
Full kit of quick disconnect fittings $235

Further issues down the road could easily add up to money much better spent toward the two post lift I actually want.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I've actually read quite a lot about the quick jacks seals failing, sometimes in the up position with cars stuck on them lol. I was close to getting one but I'm going to hold off for a two post lift. Price difference is surprisingly not that bad.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've actually read quite a lot about the quick jacks seals failing, sometimes in the up position with cars stuck on them lol. I was close to getting one but I'm going to hold off for a two post lift. Price difference is surprisingly not that bad.

The QuickJack was always meant to be a temporary solution for me, as I’m torn between building a pole barn or selling our current house and moving somewhere already better suited for shop space. For a good certified two post lift it’s about $2500-3000ish to start, but factor in running 220v and concrete work if need be and it adds up.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
The QuickJack was always meant to be a temporary solution for me, as I’m torn between building a pole barn or selling our current house and moving somewhere already better suited for shop space. For a good certified two post lift it’s about $2500-3000ish to start, but factor in running 220v and concrete work if need be and it adds up.

This is precisely why I went QJ route. I have the garage height to support an asymetrical Rotary I had my eye on, pre-owned in great shape for $1700. I did NOT have the 5Kpsi concrete pads nor the 220v for it though and that would have been another couple grand to do. Plus, if I need a 2 post lift, i just head to our city shop where I can take my pick of 5 to use.

Not worried about any seal or other issues, the cylinder leak seemed to be a fluke. There really do have great customer service that had me up and running again in no time. i use this at least a couple times a month and it's been flawless since. I always disconnect the couplers after use and haven't had so much as a drop of fluid leak. All in all happy with it for what it is. I wouldn't hesitate recommending one. If you get it at Costco, you have a lifetime return policy to take advantage of if it shits the bed out of warranty ;).

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Bonus points for ammo can as a knuckle support.... ;)

50 cal linked ammo, it was my toolbox for about 7 years for my aircraft line maintenance job haha.

Even flew with it on a few road trips, but eventually it got retired in favor of a Pelican case when management cracked down on our tool boxes.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So the couplers I replaced failed the exact same way after three uses.

I contacted QJ and at first they just said no “last time was THE last time”, but after a bit of persistence and a email with pictures they sent out another pair of fittings.

I installed them and used it twice, so far so good.

Moral of the story, yes it’s still a great tool, but you should probably shop around for spare fittings to keep on hand to avoid downtime (I need to follow my own advice)

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Have one as well, love it and probably the best solution for me for quite some time (will continue to move around).

I bought the overpriced quickjack pinch weld blocks and sadly the front jack points are a bit too "wide" for the blocks, but they still work and will probably widen out a bit naturally over time.

No issues with mine yet. Probably used it only 10 times so far.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Quick Jack is no good for anyone.
I bought mine and had several issues, fluid leak, cylinder sticking, hydraulic line fitting defects, and so on.
So, they sent me the replacement one and the cylinder had fluid leak from several weld points right out of the box.
it seems like they don't heve quality control process in place.
So, thanks to Costco's return policy, I was able to get rid of that POS product and get my money back.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Still worth buying if you can't get a lift installed? I'm thinking about saving up for a set before I get hot and heavy into my E30 project. I'm going to be doing a full build (E30 chassis, engine and trans swap, custom driveshaft, new floorpan/trans tunnel all that stuff) so I'll be under the car a lot. Wondering if quickjacks will be sufficient or if i'd be better off building some platforms to set the car on.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Is the fitting busted or does it just need a better fitting o-ring? Could be a specification problem on their end...