GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions regarding spacers/lugs

apeirologue

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I want to do a 12 & 15mm spacer kit on my 07 GTI and have had trouble finding info regarding the sizes/dimensions everything needs to be. If I do 2 different sizes, do I need 2 different lengths of lug bolts? (in this case 40 & 45mm I believe, correct me if I am wrong, I have the stock 18" rims) or would I be able to get away with 45mm lugs all around? also, for the MK5 the bolts need to be ball rather than cone shaped, correct? Thanks in advance.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Correct on the lug bolt lengths.
(stock length is 27mm, then add the thickness of the spacer to that number -- if necessary...round UP, not down, to the closest bolt length available)

And stock wheels do use ball seat bolts too

apeirologue

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Correct on the lug bolt lengths.
(stock length is 27mm, then add the thickness of the spacer to that number -- if necessary...round UP, not down, to the closest bolt length available)

And stock wheels do use ball seat bolts too
It's quite a bit cheaper for me to buy 20x 45mm bolts than 10x 40 and 10x 45, so doing 45 all around would work technically? Even if it looked a little weird in the front. Thanks for the info!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ohhhhh....you want to do it "cheaper" :rolleyes:

I'm seeing the same price on ECS for either 40mm or 45mm bolts though, at $2.51/each:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Wheels/Bolts,_Studs,_-and-_Nuts/

It won't look "weird" if they're longer in the front, because you won't see it. You don't want too long of a lug bolt though because it'll poke thru the back though and can hit the hub if too long.
Although I believe you "should" be fine with the 45mm bolts

apeirologue

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Ohhhhh....you want to do it "cheaper" :rolleyes:

I'm seeing the same price on ECS for either 40mm or 45mm bolts though, at $2.51/each:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Wheels/Bolts,_Studs,_-and-_Nuts/

It won't look "weird" if they're longer in the front, because you won't see it. You don't want too long of a lug bolt though because it'll poke thru the back though and can hit the hub if too long.
Although I believe you "should" be fine with the 45mm bolts
The cheaper the better honestly 🤷‍♂️ no point in overpaying for a piece of aluminum that makes my wheels wider
$2.50 a bolt seems insane, I was able to find non-name brand ones for about a buck a bolt which seemed a bit more reasonable. Only got the rear wheel spacers at the moment, so in the future I might look at getting front one if I really want.