GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Q5 3.0 vs 2.0

langer

i fix teefs
My wife and I will be getting about 27k from audi for our a3 diesel buyback. We will be rolling that right into a used Q5 most likely. Maybe a large downpayment to offset any price difference, especially if we choose the 3 liter super engine. My question comes down to cost and ease of DIY maintenance. I will NOT be taking it to a dealer if I can avoid it.
I know my way around my fsi fairly well at this point, but not awfully familiar with newer tfsi, which I think is the motor is 2014-2015s we will look be looking at. I know nothing about the 3 liter motor and its supercharger.
What would you do?

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
Well.. If it were me and I suddenly found myself with $27K burning a hole in my pocket, and all of the options I was considering had engines I was unfamiliar with anyway, I'd wait for the new RS3 coming next year and put down a big down payment.

But, for the Q5, I'd probably stick with the 2.0. It'll be easier on he wallet and still puts out a decent amount of HP and it's probably an easier transition for you for DIY maintenance.

langer

i fix teefs
Yeah, definitely leaning towards 2.0. Will still have my gti for fun. Q5 will be family hauler for kid and dog. Lots of trips to family shore house, etc. Would love RS3 or VW R, but maybe when student loans are gone. I would prefer to stick with a motor I'm moderately familiar with.