GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Put Golf R brakes up front today - review coming

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Going with MXRS up front

I have a set of Endless MXRS pads coming for the front Golf R brakes. These pads are supposed to be fantastic street pads and have the heat range for even track days.

I ran Endless MX72 pads up front with my stock brakes and they were fanntastic but these are the next level up.

I also have a set of R32 calipers/Rotors for the back that I now need to paint. (blk to match the fronts). I will run HPS pads in back as I have done in past.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
First impression now with full R brake set (added rears) HPS 5.0 all around

I added the R spec rear calipers and the larger vented rotors (310mm vs 286mm non-vented). The first impression was that the car seemed to stop a flatter. So I have the R spec calipers up front as well (345mm vs 312mm)

I am going to wait to install the MXRS pads up front, have decided to get 2 piece rotors for these pads or at least some new rotors

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Review after adding the Golf R/R32 rear brakes - after the first 100 miles

After driving about 100 miles with the full Golf R/R32 brake set (front and rear)
+Tyrolsport stiffner kit front
+Stainless lines
+HPS 5.0 pads front and rear

The car definately behaves even better under hard high speed braking with less dive, not that it was terrible before but there is noticable improvement. The car stops flatter and with this setup really pulls the car down fast. I am very happy with the setup.

Looking back at what I have done I can recommend the upgrade - IF - you can get the parts at a reasonable price. Total cost for me was about 1600 for all 4 wheels which includes the cost of new rotors and pads all around. This makes a huge difference and for me was a decent value.

Cons - I used the Geomet Rotors from ECS with the HPS pads originally on my R calipers up front and stock GTI calipers in rear. The Geomet Rotors turned out to be way too soft and the HPS pads chewed up the rotors badly and I was only 1/2 way through the first set of pads. So I should have spent a little more on rotors. So get the better rotor so you don't have to buy them twice like I am doing.

Fix - My fix will be to go with AdamsRotors G4000 (hi carbon) iron rotors that are much harder.

Upgrade - When the Adams rotors come in for the front I will be moving to my new Endless MXRS pads I have sitting on the bench. I ran Endless MX72 pads on my stock front calipers and they were expensive but worth every penny. The MXRS pads are supposed to be quite an improvement.

Conclusion - Love the stopping power and the ease of modulation. Looks - well they are stock Golf R brakes (calipers are black) with slotted and drilled rotors so they look OK but nothing looks as good to me as a set of bright red 6 piston Brembos. In my opinion this direction I went is for better stopping power to match the K04 setup. Both the K04 and the Golf R brake setup with upgraded pads etc. are sort of medium upgrades in each of their respective mod categories and compliment eachother perfectly. Of course this is exactly what the factory did with the Golf R, I am just taking advantage of the factory setup that they designed.

One last note - the weight of this system makes it much less desireable for those of you that want to track your car regularly but I ran it with HPS plus pads at the track and it worked quite well ands it brings the car down from triple digits, without any fading, even in back to back sessions. So you can go out and have fun with the setup.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
After installing the upgraded rear caliper/rotor set I developed a dangerous problem. Previous owner had sourced stainless lines that fit directly into calipers. They were of such a length that they made contact with a wheel weight and tore away the stainless and was cutting into the line. I had just done a canyon run and heard ticking.

Normal rear brake setup is a combination hardline to a point away from wheel that clips into a specific bracket where it meets the flex line. In this setup previous user had purchased a stainless line and banjo fitting to avoid buying the hardlines. For my application the line was just long enough to make contact with a wheel weight on the passenger side wheel. I ripped apart the stainless braid and was cutting into the actual line. Scary to say the least. I put in the proper hardline and stainless lines. For those doing a similar upgrade (putting R/R32 rear calipers on the MKV GTI), the stock hardline, clips and flex lines from your stock GTI calipers also fit this setup.

Proper setup with hardline from caliper to bracket then flex line to keep things where they are supposed to be.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Kind of cobbled together the GolfR brake upgrade over months getting fronts first, then rear etc.. Going to start fresh for first track day of the year.

Going from the ECS drilled and slotted rotors to solid rotors. The ECS rotors wore quickly with the Hawk HPS pads. Going for rotors that are a little harder.

Centric Hi Carbon blank rotors front and rear
HP+ pads front and back for the track
Endless MXRS pads front and HPS pads rear for street

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
The HP+ pads front and back worked great at the track. Fairly fast track at about 135 on the back straight.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Going for best street brakes using oem calipers

I am looking for the best street setup. I came to grips long ago that you can't have a setup that can do double duty street/track. I run HP+ F/R at the track on a seperate set of rotors.

So my new street setup on the Golf R calipers is going to be:

Centric High Carbon blank rotors F/R
Endless MXRS pads up front.
Hawk HPS 5.0 pads in the rear

The front calipers have Tyrolsport stiffners and stainless lines f/r with ATE Blue.
Review to follow.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
New brake setup is great. Huge stopping power like the HP+ but much easier to modulate. HP+ had very little room to modulate, they went to full stopping power right away. Great for a road course where you are braking hard all the time but lousy ( compared to the new setup ) for street use.

Update: MXRS pads are unfortunately dusty, like they way they stop though. Also getting light squeal when brakes are first used. No squeal when warm.

Another Update: DOH! MXRS are not very dusty, all the dust was coming from the barrel of the wheel, accumulated dust from previous pads.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
After 5 months of driving this setup I have to say that it is pretty fantastic and I would highly recommend it.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Was looking at using Hawk HPS on both front and rear due to previous good experience with the pads. They do eat rotors but have a nice street friendly temp range.

Any thought on going with HPS all around?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Was looking at using Hawk HPS on both front and rear due to previous good experience with the pads. They do eat rotors but have a nice street friendly temp range.

Any thought on going with HPS all around?

I have run HPS all around and they make for a very nice street setup. They tend to be a tad dusty but quiet. Huge improvement over stock pads.

If you replace rotors go with the hi-carbon rotors they are not as soft and will hold up better, not much more cost.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR