GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Put Golf R brakes up front today - review coming

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Ok ill let you know Tuesday night they should arrive that day. The car is running better than ever the heat just sucks so i don't drive to hard during the day, and yes i plan on doing w/m as soon as i start this new job. I'm in between getting a dsg tune or the w/m first though.

Water Meth then DSG

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well after living with the Golf R calipers for 10 days I am sure I like the stopping power and the look. However I am going to go back to the Endless MX-72 pads for the front, I miss the progrssive feel of those pads they are wonderful.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Great work yet again, GIACUser. Your car is the perfect example of a tasteful, functional OEM+ build. :thumbsup:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Great work yet again, GIACUser. Your car is the perfect example of a tasteful, functional OEM+ build. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir.

1st month update
After living with the GolfR fronts and the HPS pads a little longer I will have to admit they are pretty grabby. By that I mean the initial bite is VERY strong now, still controllable but less so than with my stock calipers and Endless pads. For quite a while I found myself stopping about 10 ft short of the intersections they are so different. I am more used to the new feel but I am looking forward to swapping back to the Endless MX72 pads with these new larger brakes. My experience with those pads is that the bite is much more progressive. The HPS bite like crazy, very early, almost too much. They do stop the car very fast though.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Thanks for sharing your impressions.
Endless on R32 must be worth a try. Also consider the MXRS
if obtainable.

I still like the BBS VZ033 wheels. Had the same and miss them.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks for sharing your impressions.
Endless on R32 must be worth a try. Also consider the MXRS
if obtainable.

I still like the BBS VZ033 wheels. Had the same and miss them.

If the MXRS are available that would be my first choice. Agreed!

Yes, I really like the wheels. I have been looking for a replacements but haven't found anything that I like better. I want a 5 spoke but the only ones I like are 3 piece and I have lived with custom wheels before and it wasn't worth the hassle. If I do upgrade it will be CCW C10 or C14 with some sort of custom finish.

Last edited:

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
sweet wheel/brake combo man. one of the things that really sets a car off IMO.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
sweet wheel/brake combo man. one of the things that really sets a car off IMO.

Thanks, sorry they are not VMR wheels especially given the UCR association but hey maybe someday. I think one of the principals of the company went to school here where I work.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, sorry they are not VMR wheels especially given the UCR association but hey maybe someday. I think one of the principals of the company went to school here where I work.

By company you mean VMR? Which school is it if you don't mind me asking?

No apologies needed about the VMR's :)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
By company you mean VMR? Which school is it if you don't mind me asking?

No apologies needed about the VMR's :)

It was my understanding that one of the prinicipals of VMR was a University of California Riverside alum.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Update on brakes - I am running HPS pads still - again they pull the car down hard and fast when driving all out (work great when running canyons). For normal city driving I find that modulating the brake to come down to a perfectly smooth stop where I want is still a bit difficult they tend to grab extra that last 30 ft before you come to a normal city type stop. Not a big deal, overall very happy with brakes, still going to add R32 rear brakes.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Golf R brakes and this GTI are going to the track for the first time Sun Nov9th. California Speedway roadcourse. Ordered HP+ pads for the event but they have not shown up so the HPS pads will have to do. It will be fun either way.

Hawk HP + pads showed up so I will report on my first track experience. This is a fairly fast track and I expect to get into triple digits on the big part of the oval and the longer infield straight. Last time I drove it I was in a CTS-V, I won't be that quick but the speeds probably won't be too far off. Looking forward to see how the HP+ pads perform.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Golf R brakes at California Speedway

I ran the 2.8 mi "Roval" at Fontana CA today. Speedventures trackday. The top speed was 130 on the front straight that leads into a banked turn. On the back straightaway I was briefly in 6th before haveing to brake. 22 turns in all. I dropped in a set HP+ pads up front, kept the HPS in the rear and the brakes did extremely well. The car being run in two groups back to back throughout the day, no time to cool down and the brakes just kept working.

I was very happy with the brakes, they worked well today.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Golf R brakes at California Speedway

I ran the 2.8 mi "Roval" at Fontana CA today. Speedventures trackday. The top speed was 130 on the front straight that leads into a banked turn. On the back straightaway I was briefly in 6th before having to brake for a 90 degree turn. 22 turns in all. I dropped in a set HP+ pads up front, kept the HPS in the rear and the brakes did extremely well. The car being run in two groups back to back throughout the day, no time to cool down and the brakes just kept working.

I was very happy with the brakes, they worked well today.