GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: Check your rocker panel for rust

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
After 13.5 years of ownership, I removed the rear wheel liner for the first time to attempt PDR on a recently acquired door-ding. The area where the wheel arch meets the rocker was filled with dirt/sand which stored moisture and caused considerable rust. I would have never seen this because its concealed by the side skirt and wheel liner. I only drove this car in snow/salt for the first 5 years until I got a winter beater. The silver-lining here is that I'll be able to cut it out and weld in new metal without involving a body shop, because the repair will be hidden by the side skirts. The situation was the same on both sides.

Pics of the rocker with most of the rust cut out:

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Saw this same issue a couple of years ago on mine hidden under that rubbery paint. What looked like a small edge went under 3-4" until I saw clean metal.

Brigand253

Ready to race!
Thanks for the heads up. I need to check all fender wells and clean under the windshield cowl, I see a bunch of leaves and crap in there.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
After 13.5 years of ownership, I removed the rear wheel liner for the first time to attempt PDR on a recently acquired door-ding. The area where the wheel arch meets the rocker was filled with dirt/sand which stored moisture and caused considerable rust. I would have never seen this because its concealed by the side skirt and wheel liner. I only drove this car in snow/salt for the first 5 years until I got a winter beater. The silver-lining here is that I'll be able to cut it out and weld in new metal without involving a body shop, because the repair will be hidden by the side skirts. The situation was the same on both sides.

Pics of the rocker with most of the rust cut out:

Finished fixing the rockers just in time for the nice driving weather. Cut out all the rust, cut and formed new sheet metal, painted everything inside and out with Eastwood Internal Frame Paint, riveted the new metal onto the car, covered everything with a thick layer of Eastwood Brushable Seam Sealer. All the work is concealed when the liner and side skirt are in place.

IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7454.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7468.JPG