GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PS3 Price Cut

Midnight00SE

Mr. Othy
A little off topic but it fits: Westinghouse and Vizio TVs supposedly use Sony internals. I'm picking up a 37" Panasonic plasma tonight and waiting for my 360 to get here to play some Forza 2.

I'd love a PS3, but there's still nothing to draw me towards it.

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
can anyone recommend me a shop to buy a PS3 from (online shop) and that will ship to Australia.....sorry for being off topic thanks in advance

KroenenMKV

Ready to race!
If you go on Yahoo right now it says the price cut may only be temporary! WTF??!! *UPDATE* I just checked IGN, confirmed my suspicions. They are selling the 60 gig for $499 until the supply is depleted. Production of the 60 gig will permanently cease.

Last edited:

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
If you go on Yahoo right now it says the price cut may only be temporary! WTF??!! *UPDATE* I just checked IGN, confirmed my suspicions. They are selling the 60 gig for $499 until the supply is depleted. Production of the 60 gig will permanently cease.

Sweet, so you can buy a discontinued version for still too much money :thumbsup:

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
just bought my PS3 today, along with a 42" LG LCD tv with HDTV 720p. can't wait to get home and set it all up.

Gtiguy182

Clean MKV Owner
i got a 32" sharp Aquos LCD HDTV and i love and plain on getting xbox360 or PS3 not sure yet

Justin W

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Jetta
Technically not a price drop... it's a phase out of the cheaper systems.
But for those that want to get in on the PS3... now's the time!

The two phaseout products are also sporting the PS2 chipset for better backwards compatibility... something that won't be in the new 80GB unit.

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
Technically not a price drop... it's a phase out of the cheaper systems.
But for those that want to get in on the PS3... now's the time!

The two phaseout products are also sporting the PS2 chipset for better backwards compatibility... something that won't be in the new 80GB unit.

That is correct, the new 80gb model will not be backwards compatible with PS1/2 games.

Sony has discontinued production of the 60GB model. This so called "price drop" is actually a clearance sale. Sony will no longer sell the 60GB model once supplies are exhausted. They are debuting a new SKU with an 80GB hard drive, and a copy of Motorstorm for the origianl price tag of $599 beginning in August. But there is one hell of a catch - the 80GB model is NOT backward compatible. The new 80GB will not play PS1 or PS2 games. They are actually saving money with the upgrade and charging the same old price. So the truth is, you get less for your money. This has already pissed a lot of people off all around the internet.

Basically, they cut the price on existing, soon to be obsolete 60GB model. This causes a sales spike because people are getting a better deal than ever. The truth is, they are not benefiting the consumer. It is a simple stock boosting move to improve quarterly sales for their next report so their stocks don't take another massive hit due to the unusaully high unsuccess rate in sales.