GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project ultimate daily. Build #2

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
The dealer didn't give you any trouble about the trans warranty even though it's been modded?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Damn that sucks...for that price it's the module and pump no way it's just the module

Correct, the module alone is just a mere $800 so that's not too bad (said no one ever). From the research I've done most of the time it's just the module, but there are those few where it's the whole unit. Like the new flywheel, preventative maintenance, etc I'd rather just replace the whole thing...... or say screw it and just drive it.

The dealer didn't give you any trouble about the trans warranty even though it's been modded?

It helps to be a long time multiple VW owner. Mod friendly dealers are out there, last time I brought my 06 in was an emergency oil filter housing. Head service manager, techs, service writers, all came over when they put it on the lift. Manager tells me he loves seeing GTI nerds that have just gone all out lol. Free filter housing and install with my oil no charge, thought that was cool.

But no issues, 4th mechatronics unit 2nd clutch pack, they didn't even question it. Though I got lucky, having friends and knowing your car doesn't hurt!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Just talked to the dealership, tech line confirmed new trans is needed, now just waiting on the regional rep to give the green light. So hopefully Monday they will get the go ahead.

I did get some bad new, the service manager called me and informed me that they can not and will not install my LSD. Apparently when i had my local speed shop swap my LSD's (wavetrac-Mfactory) they destroyed my wavetrac. I hadnt noticed it but i didnt look that closely when i got it back in the box. He told me it looked they the used an air hammer to remove it, multiple teeth on the main gear damaged, housing/cage was damaged. I've heard of other people having a bad experience with the shop I used but this is the first time they have screwed me. Called them and they are saying that I probably dropped it in the year since they did the job.........right, because I've added it to my flaming chainsaw, sword, LSD juggling act.... FU dude! So no LSD for the 09 :-(

On a different note, the wife and I were talking and decided I'll daily this car until it's paid off (3 years) and by that time the 06 will be completely done and we will build this one up for her racecar. 3 year wait but eventually no more sharing on track days!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Shitty on the lsd man, sorry to hear that. At least new trans will drive nice!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

You have no idea, i was so excited to have 2 LSD equiped MKV DSG GTI's. Most dont ever do an LSD, let alone 2 of them lol. At this point she will most likely never get one, just too much money to dump into a daily. Unless it does become the wifes racecar.... then its full retard all over again.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
I need to grab an lsd. I just wanna make sure everything else is perfect before I dump more money

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Just went to automatic trans class ad a refresher...dealer shouldn't do a lsd, we don't have some of the special tools and no specified clearances to correctly install.

After tech line OKs the trans, should only need the service managers approval, the fom shouldn't be needed.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
How do you like the Mfactory vs the Wavetrac? I'm contemplating the LSD later this year.
Btw you can get a used MK6 GTI abs pump/module for less than $200 to solve that issue. I'm not sure having ESP off will prevent the ABS fault, it could still catch you off guard.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Just went to automatic trans class ad a refresher...dealer shouldn't do a lsd, we don't have some of the special tools and no specified clearances to correctly install.

After tech line OKs the trans, should only need the service managers approval, the fom shouldn't be needed.

We'll that'snot a concern anymore anyways as far as the LSD goes. As for the ok to do the trans, it was the service manager I talked to. So im not sure what that's about then, he's the one that told me we'd be all good. But I guess it's VWOA that actually cuts the check so it kinda makes sense.

How do you like the Mfactory vs the Wavetrac? I'm contemplating the LSD later this year.
Btw you can get a used MK6 GTI abs pump/module for less than $200 to solve that issue. I'm not sure having ESP off will prevent the ABS fault, it could still catch you off guard.

I honestly couldn't really tell a difference. Technically the Mfactory is a few pounds lighter and supposedly stronger due to the forged process. But as far as performance goes they are identical to me. If I had to do it again I would have just bought the Mfactory from the get go and saved myself a couple hundred bucks.

I'll look into finding a used abs pump module from a used MK6, can't believe I didn'tthink of that. I'm wondering how difficult of a job it is to remove and replace the pump. II'm assuming I'd have to strip one out of a totalled MK6 at a junkyard somewhere. Maybe Donjuan1jr can chime in on this one.

What is the negative of not doing this? It's not like brakes will randomly lock up is it? I'm tempted to just leave it alone and not worry about it unless someone says there's something to be worried about.

Edit: With how many failures I've seen on the forums (seems like every 09) I can't believe they don't have a TSB or recall out. Failing ABS systems is a safety issue for most drivers.

I dunno about throwing a different pump in besides the one etka tells me to use. I hate doing them with a passion. Some you need to drop the engine mount to get room or ratchet the engine back...then hope the lines go in straight...bleeding is easy with a machine, but then you need to do basic settings of the valves. (Not hard just takes a while)

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I dunno about throwing a different pump in besides the one etka tells me to use. I hate doing them with a passion. Some you need to drop the engine mount to get room or ratchet the engine back...then hope the lines go in straight...bleeding is easy with a machine, but then you need to do basic settings of the valves. (Not hard just takes a while)

So is this something I could pull in a junkyard or would it be a huge pita? Also, is it an easy enough job for me to do in my garage? I obviuosly don't have the bleeding machine you are talking about. Just trying to weight my options of doing it all myself, partly myself, or having a shop/dealership (for literally an arm and a leg) do it.

jdawg419

How is the k04 do. Rdy to upgrade turbo but not sure on which one. Thinking of going big like the gt30. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

So is this something I could pull in a junkyard or would it be a huge pita? Also, is it an easy enough job for me to do in my garage? I obviuosly don't have the bleeding machine you are talking about. Just trying to weight my options of doing it all myself, partly myself, or having a shop/dealership (for literally an arm and a leg) do it.

You can do it then run the bleed test plan in vcds to get air out of the pump, I've done it that way and it takes a while but it works. You could try a motive power bleeder but I dunno how well they work. I wouldn't pull one at a salvage yard, you never know and thats alot of work.

Do u have codes or something that makes u think urs is bad?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
You can do it then run the bleed test plan in vcds to get air out of the pump, I've done it that way and it takes a while but it works. You could try a motive power bleeder but I dunno how well they work. I wouldn't pull one at a salvage yard, you never know and thats alot of work.

Do u have codes or something that makes u think urs is bad?

I'll take the wisdom on the junkyard route, not the way I wanted to go anyway but money is super tight trying to get my new daily up to snuff and the racecar ready for the season.

I have all the classic symptoms. Anytime ABS or traction control engages I get solid TC and ABS lights and flashing parking brake light. Already had to do one emergency stop and just the front right corner locked up and put me sideways (thank god I know how to drive). The same lights have come on randomly for no apparent reason twice now, the first time being 1 mile from the dealership I bought it from when i bought it lol.