GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Turbo Hair-Dresser Girly Race Car//Miata Build

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion

So on 10/17/15 I picked up my new sports car.
"That's not a real sports car" - Peter Griffin

So I got my new hair-dresser mobile. I bought it from a lad named Jon for $2450 out the door. It has 83K on the clock, and not a speck of rust on it. 1992 non-LSD no options. It has never seen winter. It needs some sweet sweet lovin' and I am willing to provide. Video series coming soon. Yes, the future holds Turbo power, external wastegates, mad skids, racekor shenanigans, and engine swaps. Stay tuned for the future vehicular nonsense.

Things that are gonna need doing:
-Body work
-Get paint up to spec
-Take out the POS 1.6L

Things that are on the way:
-Moss Miata Shifter Rebuild kit
-Full set of Poly bushings
-Flyin' Miata Master Cylinder Brace

Here's the Racekor...

Ewh shitty soft-top \/ Whatever soft-tops are for the weak

Yeah... This is gonna take some time to fix. \/

Actually clean engine bae. \/ What's that tiny thing doing in there?

There's a lot of room in there for you know... turbo things

She's a dirty girl..

Step: 1 The clean car mod. Looks good as new.

Turbo Kitty says to V8 swap it.

But Turbo Doge says LFX swap :(

More to come.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
So what's the first thing to do when you get a new car? I follow mighty car mods SWAT method to get a car ready to modify. That means:

1. Service
2. Wheels and Tires
3. Audio and Alarm (Security)
4. Tint

The issue is that I am going to a new motor so there is no need to touch the 1.6L as of now since it is coming out soon. The wheels are tires are staying OEM until I get the engine swap done, clearly they won't stay OEM. The audio actually already has upgraded speakers and also an alarm system as well as wheel locks so that's all set. Tint will be put on hold until summer. So there it is, the car is now ready to modify...

The only thing that did need changing is the shifter. It felt really meh and loose. We have another 1.6L so I KNOW that isn't right. So I bought a Moss Miata shifter rebuild kit with Red Line synthetic oil (I've heard good things).

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
So what's wrong with the car. Well I made a list:
1. Shifter needs some love. It feels way too rubbery and imprecise.
2. Clearly there is a bit of body damage
3. The speaker has some corrosion.
4. The drivers side roll up window is a bit sticky
5. The soft-top's back window is destroyed.

I had a bit of time to get a start on things.

I got the shifter rebuild from Moss Miata ($85). It uses all oem parts to make the shifter feel new again. I used upgraded Red Line synthetic gear fluid which made a big difference imo.

Install was fairly easy. Here's what I did:

1. Removed 2 Phillips screws

2. One in the center tray

3. Two in the center console

4. Unscrew shift knob

5. Just pull up and take off the center piece

6. 4 10mm bolts

7. 3 10mm bolts

Once its off you just reinstall the new hardware. It felt GREAT after the install. Felt just like new. More to come...

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Yep, it's hard not to love these things. They are cheap as hell, 1000+ pounds less than our GTI's, RWD with LSD (Most of them), easy power options. The best thing about it is how they are so so simple. I mean literally I can probably have the engine and transmission completely removed in maybe 3 hours tops? Also if anything breaks there are a million replacement parts for cheap. Break a transmission? 100 bucks. Blow a motor? 600 bucks.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
First thing I did was fix my shifter too.
LMK what you do to fix the driver side window, mine is rolling up slowly and seems sticky too.

I just replaced the rear o2 sensor on the car last weekend and in order to do that I had to remove the driver seat and peel back all the carpet.
After peeling back the carpet guess what I found?

A girls silver hoop earring! #chickcar
lol

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
First thing I did was fix my shifter too.
LMK what you do to fix the driver side window, mine is rolling up slowly and seems sticky too.

I just replaced the rear o2 sensor on the car last weekend and in order to do that I had to remove the driver seat and peel back all the carpet.
After peeling back the carpet guess what I found?

A girls silver hoop earring! #chickcar
lol

Hahaha that's hilarious. As far as I know my car was only owned by guys which is weird in it's own lol. I haven't ripped apart the door yet but honestly and I kid you not I just spent 30 minutes while drinking with friends just rolling it up and rolling it down and it made it significantly better. The true fix will be taking off the door card and WD40'ing it. I "think" I'm done modding my MK7 for a second so I might pickup a rollbar soon. Also I have the NB sport brakes and NB rear brakes ready to go on. I'll tell you how they feel!

Put 1jz or 2jz motor and you will enjoy more :)

Hahahaha I'm sure i would. Some guy just finished him 2JZ build earlier this week and its epic. Buying the MK7 really took a hit on the bank account though

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Also

Garage Star Shifter Bushing Install/Review:

Introduction: I bought these for $65 on Flyin Miata. They have great reviews, an easy install and they are nice and cheap.

Here is the install: (Tools Needed- 10mm Rachet.)

Just remove the two bolts, take old one out, put new one in and tighten the provided bolts.

Initial Impressions: They feel great. Door closes with an audible "clunk". Honestly I have put less than 500 miles on the car since I bought it so I don't have too much experience without them but it overall feels much better. Less flex, nothing like a roll-bar would provide but it feels good. Some of the shakes and rattles are gone and it feels a good bit more solid. An extra is the door speakers sound a tad bit better.