GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project: Keezer

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
Below is a little project I have been working on the past month or so. I began homebrewing beer in December, and almost immediately decided I wanted to keg my beer, rather than bottle. The pros to kegging are less cleaning and sanitizing involved, and more consistency/control over taste and carbonation. The cons.... well, I had to build this :biggrin:

I spent at least a solid month on homebrewtalk.com trying to decide what route I wanted to take for dispensing my beer. Most people go with your standard kegorator made from a stand up or mini fridge. Few choose to convert a chest freezer. I liked the capacity and options with the freezer route. I also decided I wanted my keezer (freezer into a kegorator) to dispense from a wood collar instead of buying an expensive tower and having to cut holes in the lid.

The beginning

picked up a 15cuft kenmore off a a guy on craigslist. $100 :D

Started piecing together the delivery

used it for a while as a fridge after I bought a digital temp controller.... opening the lid everytime is a PITA.

scored this for $40

let the collar begin. I used 2x6 oak.

insulated the collar

a touch of color

wasn't dark enough.... haha

A quick mock up of the lid and collar

I bondo'd all of the holes in the lid from the handle and LED to make it completely smooth.

The bottom half of the keezer will be painted as soon as I puck up 3 more cans of this amazing stuff:

I attached the collar and ran the two faucets that I have. I'm going to leave it like this until I get the rest of supplies to finish it.

from left to right: 5lb CO2 bottle, El Grande Lager (5.5% ABV), Black Ass Porter (5.34% ABV), Bock Bock DoppelBock (7.43%ABV)...and up front is a carboy of EXTREMELY Hard Cider (13+%ABV) that's being kegged as soon as I kill one of the other 3.

how it sits for now.

Next up is a coat of black to cover up the remaining white, and some casters on the bottom so I can move it into the house.

C&C welcome! :drinking:

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
not to toot my own horn, but my first batch was amazing. I invited a few people over to try my first beer, and the keg was gone in about 3 hours (5 gallons). My 2nd and third batches were ok. 4th batch was horrible (specifically because I wasn't a style I liked) and then my 5th batch was complete crap (again, not my style of beer). the last 3 have been awesome.

all but the last 2 batches were partial mash/extract brewing, which is seriously for complete n00bs. These last two were what's called All-Grain. Which is where you extract starch from grain and convert it to sugar instead of buying a huge bucket of malt extract.

pics or it didn't happen:

Black Ass Porter -

residentevol

Fugitive Trucker
Car(s)
On order 09 GTI UG
Great work man..I've been brewing for 3 years now and still haven't got my keezer setup like that...I'm too lazy :) I've got corny kegs w/ picnic taps setup in the fridge upstairs..Not fancy but it pours beer! I've got a what I'm calling Oak'd meal raisin cookie beer in the secondary right now been sitting on french oak cubes for 9 weeks. Time to come off and mix w/ 5oz of bourbon that has been soaking with vanilla bean clove and cinnamon for 2 months as well. Which beer has been your favorite that you made so far?

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
that sir, sounds delicious.

So far my favorite is the one I posted in my hand. It's based on Black Butte Porter from Deschutes. I changed s few things around from the recipe they gave me at the brewery.... So I renamed it. It's pretty close to theirs, but a bit more chocolate flavored. Kinda like a stout.

residentevol

Fugitive Trucker
Car(s)
On order 09 GTI UG
RECIPE SWAAPPPPPP ;)

Here is the recipe for that beer...hold off until I keg it before you go buy the stuff to make it. I'll post back and let you know if it's worth your time. I've made this beer in the past but I changed up the grist to get a better mouthfeel and also added the oak.

To invert the sugar use Turbinado sugar, it will go into secondary fe
rmenter. Invert the sugar by mixing the sugar in ratio of 3:1 (3 parts sugar 1 parts water) by weight with water. Bring to a boil until sugar completely disolved. Add 1 tsp lemon juice and simmer until sugar solution turns clear.

I put the oak cubes in AFTER the turbinado sugar fermented out and I let the oak cubes sit for a target of 8 weeks (its been in a week longer than I wanted now)

Oatmeal raisin cookie ale Round two with changes
21-A Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

Size: 5.04 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 165.74 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 14.57 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 4.9% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 26.5 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients: