GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PRNDS Flashing - 09 GTI

Mrthemike

Ready to race!
Here's what happened to me today.

I was driving on the highway when my PRNDS started flashing. My car started behaving as if it was stuck in a gear in DSG Manual mode. It would shift at very high RPM and shift down at very low RPM. I had to drive (slowly in the right lane) for a bit before I could safely stop.

Ignition cycled the car and I drove it home without a problem. Seemed to reset itself.

Thinking of bringing my car in tomorrow after doing a search on the forums, however, it seems that most people get the PRNDS when they start the car, not while driving.

09 DSG around 45k miles.

Thoughts?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
There's a TSB regarding a faulty (incorrectly crimped electrical connection) temperature sensor. Call your dealership's service advisor and make an appointment to have the DSG flashed with an update and to have the codes checked in case it's something else.

Voyles2

Twisty champ
Car(s)
R
Time to go Visit Fox VW and that's a sign for DSG problems.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Exact same thing happened to me; accelerating through the gears, and suddenly the car downshifted, PRNDS starts flashing, and I had to stop in the street (no shoulder) to try a power cycle... which worked.

You'll definitely have some codes stored. My mechatronic was replaced shortly thereafter.

Sadly, the replacement has never shifted as smoothly, and I've had no luck so far getting VW to replace the replacement.

Mrthemike

Ready to race!
Exact same thing happened to me; accelerating through the gears, and suddenly the car downshifted, PRNDS starts flashing, and I had to stop in the street (no shoulder) to try a power cycle... which worked.

You'll definitely have some codes stored. My mechatronic was replaced shortly thereafter.

Sadly, the replacement has never shifted as smoothly, and I've had no luck so far getting VW to replace the replacement.

Did you keep driving for a while? If so, did it happen again? Did you take it directly to the dealer?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'd called the dealer before I even made it home, and I'd say the car went in the shop a week or so later. I think it took a couple of weeks for them to get the mechatronic in, so I had it during that time, and the problem didn't reappear.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Here's my log of the event:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-300-0xx.lbl
Part No SW: 02E 300 051 C HW: 02E 927 770 AJ
Component: GSG DSG AG6 431 1815
Revision: 04743012 Serial number: 00000804161342
Coding: 0000020
Shop #: WSC 01279 785 00200

1 Fault Found:
19155 - Pressure Control Solenoid 5: Open or Short to Ground
P2723 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Reset counter: 38
Mileage: 20830 km
Time Indication: 0

-----
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-300-0xx.lbl
Part No SW: 02E 300 051 C HW: 02E 927 770 AJ
Component: GSG DSG AG6 431 1815
Revision: 04743012 Serial number: 00000804161342
Coding: 0000020
Shop #: WSC 01279 785 00200

1 Fault Found:
17086 - Transm. Control Module Electrical Malf. (SAE) or Control Module Defective (VAG)
P0702 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100001
Fault Priority: 0
Reset counter: 8
Time Indication: 0

Mr645

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 R32
You have DSG infection. My R32 did that once in a while, typically at low speeds and I would be able to move at all. Has not happened since the trans was rebuilt and mechatronic whatever was replaced.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Here's what happened to me today.

I was driving on the highway when my PRNDS started flashing. My car started behaving as if it was stuck in a gear in DSG Manual mode. It would shift at very high RPM and shift down at very low RPM. I had to drive (slowly in the right lane) for a bit before I could safely stop.

Ignition cycled the car and I drove it home without a problem. Seemed to reset itself.

Thinking of bringing my car in tomorrow after doing a search on the forums, however, it seems that most people get the PRNDS when they start the car, not while driving.

09 DSG around 45k miles.

Thoughts?

Dude this isn't good. They call it the flash of death. You will most likely get a new mechatronic. Good news is you get a DSG oil service out of it if you haven't done it at 40k.

Mrthemike

Ready to race!
You guys were right. I brought it in this morning. Tech guy ran some tests and tried to reset to basic settings. Very jerky shifts. New mechatronic.

wbean

attention whore
Car(s)
09 CW Gti
i'll bring it in if mine ever happens again. Hopefully around 80k km it'll happen. get another DSG oil change would be nice ;) had to pay for my first one haha

DirtyJerzGTI

Dirty Dubbin'
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Bumping this up as this just happened to me. Was in neutral rolling down a hill, stopped and wanted to park so I was trying to go in reverse and the transmission was trying to get into R. It kept smacking and pounding to get into gear until the light's have started flashing [PRNDS].

I've been weary of this transmission for awhile as it always smacks into gears but really never thought much of it as I have been babying it and drives extremely smooth!

Should I call VWoA for any help incase my stealership gives me crap? Should the dealer fix it without any problems since this is the second transmission? (I had the mechatronic unit and all sensors replaced along with the transmission when the first one blew out).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!