GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

potential new mkv owner looking for a bit of help

raoulduke

anyone mind taking a look at this ad? I am going to look at the car tonight when I get off work. Compared to the KBB value of 9,947 its quite a bit over priced though.

Looks like the car has been lowered and obviously has aftermarket wheels so who knows how heavily modded it was in a past life. Can I take the VIN to a local VW dealer to have them pull the service records?

I'll also check to see if its a FSI or TSI

I currently own a 2001 Audi A6 2.7 and have been working on cars as a hobby for 15 years and was also a mechanic in the army for 4 years so I pretty well know my way around a car.

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
No ad?

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
I'd pass and keep looking for a bone stock example. That's a LOT of money for a non VW dealer, and the garbage wheels make me worry what else was half-assed.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Mine was a 2008, purchased three years ago, with almost 25,000 less miles, and was 2 grand cheaper....definitely would not recommend. Seems very high to me, and you have no clue how much the car was beat on in its previous life..,

raoulduke

I didnt think about it like that PSI, if they were willing to half ass the wheels then what else did they half ass...

Heres one I did go look at

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4788717510.html

Everything they said in the ad is correct and after driving one of these cars for the first time I had a huge smile on my face when I got back :)

The wheels have been curbed a bit and there is a dime size spot on the nav screen that is black.

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
That one looks pretty good and price seems right for a package 2 GTI, as long as its in excellent condition.. it even has the votex kit, very nice. That silver trim around the head unit and air vents is not original, so it might of been modified elsewhere too. In fact, I've never even seen that before, is it painted? Get it checked out by a trusted mechanic, see if you can check the cam follower. Good luck!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I would guess the trim was painted body color? It is a good looking car and a good price depending on that navigation defect.

tofuMonzter

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7R
From a maintenance outlook I'd look for 2008.5 newer. TSI's have a timing chain vs fsi's belt, having to check the life of the cam follower, especially after upgrading your hpfp. It's not a pain but having the idea of the wear and the potential of it busting is one more problem I'd rather not have. Also that carbon build up haha.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Coming from an 8 1/2 year owner and 156,247 miles, I will say get a FSI. CHANGE CAM FOLLOWER, and oil and this motor is damn near bullit proof. Yes the TSI has a few advantages, but when the intake runner fails (and it will) you have to replace the entire intake manifold. Then when the timing chain tensioner goes (look that one up!) There goes at least half you motor. I'm not going into the big debate about FSI vs TSI but from personal experience and a lot of time with both motors, get an FSI lol.

Edit: They both have carbon build up, neither motor has less or more, the only way to actively fight this is with W/M (water meth) or adding a aux fuel rail and injectors.