GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible heat soak fix?

Car(s)
Subaru
saw this on youtube and wanted to share cause my mind is blown at the results. im halfway tempted to pull my ic after this semester and paint it black after watching this super scientific mythbusting

what do yall think?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Air to Air intercooler only really works and is needed when car is in motion and there is air flow. The test shows that when car is parked and there is low air flow (hair dryer) the exiting air is cooler but I guess ...... so what? When car is in motion (accelerating) and the air to air intercooler comes into play the non painted intercooler actually worked very marginally better. I say just leave it silver.

Car(s)
Subaru
Air to Air intercooler only really works and is needed when car is in motion and there is air flow. The test shows that when car is parked and there is low air flow (hair dryer) the exiting air is cooler but I guess ...... so what? When car is in motion (accelerating) and the air to air intercooler comes into play the non painted intercooler actually worked very marginally better. I say just leave it silver.

the difference of it when the car wouldnt be moving was huge.

sitting in traffic where you arent moving, a black ic wouldnt get as hot. so what if its a couple deg warmer while youre moving, the difference while stopped is so huge that it out weighs itself

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
the difference of it when the car wouldnt be moving was huge.

sitting in traffic where you arent moving, a black ic wouldnt get as hot. so what if its a couple deg warmer while youre moving, the difference while stopped is so huge that it out weighs itself

Yes I agree with the difference while stopped but I don't think that measurement matters. It is the measurement while in motion that makes the difference and the paint did not make any difference to the positive.

I don't see why painting it any color would make an effect other than changing the surface properties. Their experiment with the fan made sense because the paint insulates the IC which would reduce performance and is exactly what they saw. Not moving, I'm not convinced that their results were measured correctly.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I would think coating the fins in anything would insulate them.

A black anodize would be nice.

Car(s)
Subaru
I don't see why painting it any color would make an effect other than changing the surface properties. Their experiment with the fan made sense because the paint insulates the IC which would reduce performance and is exactly what they saw. Not moving, I'm not convinced that their results were measured correctly.

yeah, i mean, the fan for the rad will pull air, but still. the trade off seems really good imo. ive never heard of doing this but its pretty cool for sure.... no pun intended