GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Porsche wheels on a MKV

artdohc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI DSG
Hey guys and gals,

I have an 08 GTI and I have been searching for some wheels for it. I have been looking for a few months now and I don't have a big budget so I am looking for something used.

I have not been able to find what I want, so I'm starting to branch out. I have always been a huge fan of factory Porsche wheels, and I particularly love the C2 turbo cup and the 993 turbo twist wheels.

Cup

Twist

Ideally I want 18"x8", but I think the cup wheels only come in 17"x8", which would still be fine with me because I love those wheels so much.

What does it take to get these wheels to fit on a MKV GTI? It appears the Porsche wheels are 5X130 compared to our 5X112 but that the offset is pretty much identical.

Also, if they can fit, what is the $$$ cost and cons of running these wheels?

Thanks

PatientlyWaiting

is waiting patiently
I've had 4 sets of 5x130 wheels on my car, 3 sets of Porsche wheels. Porsche wheels have very high offsets, making them very adaptation friendly. On the 18x8s the offsets should be somewhere around et50-55mm. With the minimum adapter thickness of 15mm that puts you at an offset of et35-40mm, which is very doable on our cars. I will steer you away from the 18x10" as the fitment is very aggressive.

The 17" cups were available in 17x7.5 and 17x9.5 as stock sizes. I have found they make replicas anywhere between 7.5 and 9". Just make sure the offsets of the wheels are above 40-45mm so you wont have copious amounts of poke.

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
I've had 4 sets of 5x130 wheels on my car, 3 sets of Porsche wheels. Porsche wheels have very high offsets, making them very adaptation friendly. On the 18x8s the offsets should be somewhere around et50-55mm. With the minimum adapter thickness of 15mm that puts you at an offset of et35-40mm, which is very doable on our cars. I will steer you away from the 18x10" as the fitment is very aggressive.

The 17" cups were available in 17x7.5 and 17x9.5 as stock sizes. I have found they make replicas anywhere between 7.5 and 9". Just make sure the offsets of the wheels are above 40-45mm so you wont have copious amounts of poke.

:word:

nothing wrong with copious amounts of poke :biggrin:

PatientlyWaiting

is waiting patiently
:word:

nothing wrong with copious amounts of poke :biggrin:

They way I saw it, since the OP was so unfamiliar with mk5 fitments, I did not want to recommend anything that would require camber, fender work, or any sort of stretch. I ran 10's and I loved them, my 1/4's did not. My Porsche winter wheels are 18x9 et38 rear, not copious, but def pokey.

Wanna talk about poke, I'm about 10 minutes away from picking up these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBS-..._Accessories&hash=item35b33644cc#ht_500wt_924

artdohc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI DSG
They way I saw it, since the OP was so unfamiliar with mk5 fitments, I did not want to recommend anything that would require camber, fender work, or any sort of stretch. I ran 10's and I loved them, my 1/4's did not. My Porsche winter wheels are 18x9 et38 rear, not copious, but def pokey.

Wanna talk about poke, I'm about 10 minutes away from picking up these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBS-..._Accessories&hash=item35b33644cc#ht_500wt_924

Thank you very much, I am definitely not looking for poke (not that there is anything wrong with poke) I prefer to drive my cars hard and this setup might see track time, so stretched tires with high camber on a setup that is poking out past the fenders is not for me.

Hmmm, I wonder if the 17"x7.5" cups would work for me with an H&R adapter...

frenchsosa

late but

I have an 07 rabbit I have the oem cups, 17x9 and 17x7 my concern is the 17x9, what tire do you guys think would fit, i have in mind to use h&r 15mm adapters to leave the final offset at 40. im on FK's and i just am worried about it not fitting, i wouldnt mind flaring the rear. just want some opinions.

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
225/40 will be doable but prob better if you went 215/40 or even 205/40
Depends on how you feel about stretch and also how low you want to go. Anything under 23.5 ftg if go for the later options.