GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Poor handling/steering wheel feels too soft after alignment

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Hi all, I might need some advise, my car has been experiencing some poor handling lately, the steering of the car doesn't feel sharp/precise anymore, especially when going highway speeds the car doesn't feel planted, there's a little play in the steering wheel like you could turn the wheels too easily.

I did make a lot of changes to my suspension recently, I installed new lighter weight wheels with brand new tires, installed the whiteline anti-lift kit (WALK), replaced steering precision rack and control arm bushings, replaced all strut and shock mounts, installed H&R UL coilovers, installed front swaybar adjustable endlinks.

I started to notice this more after I took my car to do the alignment, which came out perfect. I've checked all tie rods, they all seem to be working fine, also wheel bearings look fine, don't know what else to check.

Let me also add that the car goes straight as an arrow, doesn't pull to any side, I don't hear any noises from anywhere and steering wheel doesn't shake at all, it's just that soft steer feel like front of the car is floating.

When I installed the WALK the steering was extremely hard and handling was really sharp! but with time it has soften up, not sure if that's normal. Guy who did the alignment says it's most likely some suspension component that is going bad, but I don't know what. Definitely the car doesn't feel like it has anti-lift kit installed anymore.

A friend who's a mechanic also suggested that it could be the fact that I have lighter wheels now coupled with a little more stretched tires which have different sidewall than the ones I had before (I was running 225/40 before now I'm running 215/40), but also I have another friend who got the same tires as me with even more stretch (215/35) and he said he's not experiencing any of these issues.

Last edited:

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
I had the same issue after my home made alignment. Turns out I had too much toe-in. After doing a real alignment the steering is perfect

my alignment shows perfect toe up front though, I mean I’m not an expert but I see the arrow in the middle so I guess that’s what you strive for, right?
7BAA2EB7-E57C-43C1-A07A-E450F6ADD537.jpeg