GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please help, STILL overboost condition when lifting.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Could it just be the relearning process?

Falling on its face while try to accelerate is often MAP sensor issue, bad or not plugged in. What codes were thrown after the incident?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Falling on its face while try to accelerate is often MAP sensor issue, bad or not plugged in. What codes were thrown after the incident?
Oh no. I was making a suggestion. My car isn’t having the issue. Sorry for the confusion

Caymanjp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 3DR Golf GTI

Codes are P0238 (Boost sensor A circuit high) & P0234 (Turbocharger overboost condition)

I assume the P0238 is just because the signal it’s sending to the ECU is higher than it’s intended range due to overboost?

I’ll be pretty annoyed if it’s a new dud sensor but would also be amazing

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Codes are P0238 (Boost sensor A circuit high) & P0234 (Turbocharger overboost condition)

I assume the P0238 is just because the signal it’s sending to the ECU is higher than it’s intended range due to overboost?

I’ll be pretty annoyed if it’s a new dud sensor but would also be amazing
What tune are you on? (Factory or Aftermarket) If aftermarket, was this supposed to be a switchable tune?

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Stock tune, only performance mod is an APR cat-back exhaust.
Stock APR or your true factory stock tune
If this is an APR tune to give you stock like power, then my guess it was switchable and was calibrated for your 3bar MAP sensor. If this is an actual VW factory tune then the 2bar would be correct.

Caymanjp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 3DR Golf GTI
If this is an APR tune to give you stock like power, then my guess it was switchable and was calibrated for your 3bar MAP sensor. If this is an actual VW factory tune then the 2bar would be correct.

Bone stock factory tune

Caymanjp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 3DR Golf GTI

Just had a look at your build, looks amazing! Appreciate you helping me (A VAG newbie) out!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Just had a look at your build, looks amazing! Appreciate you helping me (A VAG newbie) out!
Yeah I went overboard on it.
Well hmmm, you said you cleaned the contacts on the MAP and I assume you also inspected the wiring (sometimes the wires leading into a plug can break or come out). Going to eat dinner and then see what I can come up with.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Ok, dinner finished.
So you indicated that in trying to accelerate now you get to 3- 3.5K and car falls on its face and goes into limp mode. Look for a boost leak. If you are lucky you will find a connector that was not put on tight enough or a split in the tubing. Often over tightening hose clamps can have a cutting effect. Often those types of holes are hard to spot without removing each piece of the rubber/silicone tubing. Those type of cuts often do not look like a hole until they are under pressure then they open up and whoosh the pressure runs out the leak and ECU shuts you down as it is not seeing the flow it was expecting. Have a look see if you can find anything.

BoostedMK5GTI

Car(s)
MK5 GTI
Can you please make a video of it happening?
When you're talking about your car falling on its face, can you specify what happens?

Let me know, i had a similar issue.

Caymanjp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 3DR Golf GTI
Ok, dinner finished.
So you indicated that in trying to accelerate now you get to 3- 3.5K and car falls on its face and goes into limp mode. Look for a boost leak. If you are lucky you will find a connector that was not put on tight enough or a split in the tubing. Often over tightening hose clamps can have a cutting effect. Often those types of holes are hard to spot without removing each piece of the rubber/silicone tubing. Those type of cuts often do not look like a hole until they are under pressure then they open up and whoosh the pressure runs out the leak and ECU shuts you down as it is not seeing the flow it was expecting. Have a look see if you can find anything.

I have gone through the system when I replaced the MAP sensor to make sure everything is in good condition but I did not remove any clamps to check for small holes so that is something that I will try. I will try record a video today of it happening

Caymanjp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 3DR Golf GTI
Can you please make a video of it happening?
When you're talking about your car falling on its face, can you specify what happens?

Let me know, i had a similar issue.

Basically as I accelerate and reach between 3-3.5K RPM the ecu I guess detects an overboost and switches off the turbo (limp mode) meaning a sudden cut in power.