GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please help! GTi won't start after rough idle cut off. Suggestions?

ManuelD3

Car(s)
2006 VW Gti
SOUND ON please watch:

Hi guys, yesterday I was parked and idling (very rough) when the engine just cut out and the car wouldn't crank anymore but there is this weird whirring/whistling noise.
Please watch the video where I try to start the car & hear a weird noise when turning the key all the way. No crank, battery is good electrical still works. There is fuel in the car. Fuses are good. Reason why it was idling rough is because I overfilled engine with oil a while ago that's when car started running bad and removed all the extra oil asap (30-40miles later).
Please help if you have any suggestions.
2006 GTI FSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Any CELs? Cat damage is the most likely outcome of overfilling oil. The high pitch whining is just your HPFP. Not sure about the grinding sound. I don't see any vibration to indicate combustion is happening at all. Does the left side timing belt move as it's cranking?

ManuelD3

Car(s)
2006 VW Gti
Any CELs? Cat damage is the most likely outcome of overfilling oil. The high pitch whining is just your HPFP. Not sure about the grinding sound. I don't see any vibration to indicate combustion is happening at all. Does the left side timing belt move as it's cranking?
Thanks for your reply.
No lights came except for the battery light for a second right before the engine cut off. Replaced HPFP not too long ago. Yea there's nothing moving or no other noises except for the fuel pump so don't think timing belt is working either when cranking.

Passed Driver's Ed
If the belt isn't moving, that suggests you have a bad starter. But usually when that happens, there's no noise whatsoever. I'm scratching my head over the grinding noise.