GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pics of Rear emblem removal

VDubz85

your favorite DJ
Car(s)
08 GTI
I know theres a shit-tom of threads on emblem shit(believe me ive looked) But I didnt see a PICS of removing the back part of the trunk hatch. I already painted the VW emblem, but i wanna know how to get the whole assemble out. If theres no pics out there, maybe ill be the first

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Why do you want to remove the entire latch system?

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
like i said, i know how to take the VW part off. The part that mounts to the trunk hatch is what I wanna remove. Know anything about that?

Yeah I caught that after I first posted. I don't know how to, but why do you want to do it? The only reason I can think of is that you want to shave your rear emblem?

Titus

Car(s)
MKV GTI
Sadly dont have pics of how its done, but this is what I can remember:

Will try explain this as best as possible without pics. grab yourself an old credit card or something similar. leave the boot locked, now if you open the hatch and hold it open, if you look at 6 o’ clock(the bottom of the latch closest to you seeing as the latch is open) on the latch between the chrome and black backing you will see a small slot. about 2-3mm across. wedge the corner of the card in there and slowly work your way around the badge to get it off. From what i can remeber is that its basically clipped on, not glued on. Also you will only probably need to lift off the some of it. if you look at the latch, you probably only need to left if the badge from about 4 o’ clock till about 8 o clock if you looking at the latch closed. After that is should just pop off.

VDubz85

your favorite DJ
Car(s)
08 GTI
Finally got time to put up these pics. My goal with this was to paint only the background of the trunk handle assembly and plasti-dip the from VW emblem. Heres how I did it:

Step 1: There are two screws you must remove before removing the plastic trunk lid. 1 inside each of the handles (no pic of this b/c its pretty obvious)

Step 2: Gently, but firmly pull along the whole plastic trunk lid until all of the pop clips are removed. I counted about 5-6 total.

Step 3: Now you will see the back side of the trunk handle assembly. There are 3 torx screw holding this in. Remove all 3, then give it a turn and it will pop right out.

NOTE: The bottom torx screw is very hard to get to. If you dont have the right tool,(of course I didnt) you will have unbolt the wiper assembly to gain access. You dont have to remove the whole wiper assembly itsel, but just push it down a little.

I had to--

Step 4: Remove the front emblem.(there are a ton of threads that show you how to do this.) I used an exacto knife and carefully pried around the edge. Then paint it up..

Step 5: Reverse and put it all back on. Enjoy your work. Heres how mine turned out...

Big A

Smoked dem cigarettes
No idea on why you would want the whole assembly out..You couldve taken the emblem (chrome) and the backing (black) out and it wouldve done the same thing..

Chrome is attached to backing with clips, backing is attached to whatever it's attached to with double sided tape

And masking it off and painting it is a bitch. I did this twice and it didnt come out nice at all, so I just said fuck it and took out the emblem.

also, white on black looks weird, but whatever floats your boat! :thumbsup:

Jarhead316

Ready to race!