GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pic REQ: MKV R's on lowering springs/shocks/NON coils/bagged

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
MKV .:R32
Been out of the family for about 6 months, picked up my R32 last week -

geeked of course and have a little bit of time to get her ready for SOWO.

my main issue is suspension - roads here in the midwest are obscene as many know.

i have a diesel geek skid plate and Konis right now - the car is pretty much slammed.

but unfortunately I65 is very unforgiving on cars like this and driving to SOWO that freeway will bottom out this car. and that would suck.

so I have a few options as i see it -
1. change the suspension specs as the car sits --- dampening/height

I'd like to do that - if I think I won't bottom out the car. But coils to me just seem too bouncy no matter how you adjust them....

which means

2. Switch suspensions - I love H&R products I've had great luck with them and love the ride of their stuff.

So I'm leaning springs and KONI Yellows.

I'd lose the adjustability of the coils but until I relocate to Texas or Florida or CA this summer early fall, I've gotta be able to drive this car w/o destroying it.

SO:

If you have pics of NON coiled/bagged R32's would love to see them, YES i searched, a lot.

OR advice.

Thanks
Chris

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
hey mate, nice looking R. you guys got silver down there eh?

yeah my old baby was fine on shocks and H&R super sports.

the ride was fine --

i probably will start with an adjustment on the konis but i don't have a lot of time to dick around -- i've learned over the past 2 years, something that is supposed to take a week will take 2 weeks. if it is supposed to take 2 weeks, that's 4 weeks. and i'm working 40 hours/week 3rd shift and 30 hours of school until the week of SOWO. So spring break will be my opportunity to get laminx on, grill painted, euro tails installed, etc.

the old wheels:

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
looks good bro ^^^^ I'm guessing the sport springs will bring me down to the same level my gti was at on super sports -- that looks legit.

What shocks? Stock?

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
+1 on this!

Do you have any rubbing issues at all with the springs? I'm assuming you went with the regular sport springs?

Yeah he's on H&R sports; you can't use the Super Sports with the R32. They're not rated for the weight difference of the R32 to the GTI.

My car pictured above is on Super Sports (GTI). Super Sports are 2" drop.

I was looking at my height measurements last night - I was at 24 3/4" on Super Sports with my GTI.

If the numbers are accurate - the stock ride height for the R32 is 25.5 - 26" FTG. So on Sports, these guys are probably around 24.5 to 25" FTG.

As for rubbing, I rubbed mildly in the GTI on big rebounds but not much. But I was on stock GTI shocks. NOT Koni yellows or FSDs.

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
:thumbup:

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
:rolleyes:
Katie if you have questions for deception use the pm route please; thats not the point of my thread. Thanks

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Search pics of my car; I was on H&R Sport springs and stock shocks and the ride height was perfect. Almost exactly 25 inches FTG all around.

I intended to replace the stock shocks with konis once they wore out; but they never wore out in 116K miles so... ;)