GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Perpetuus' MkV Build Thread

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Bought a 90 degree elbow and silicone coupler to fit to my VWR intake.

After some cutting and fitting:

Also swapped to summer wheels and tires today:

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Neutralized the engine mounts today, and re-torqued everything.

Car is now quieter and passenger side headlight no longer vibrates while idling.

Exhaust is less crooked now too.

goneD4rk

Banned

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Some missing photos from my phone:

Noise Maker Device under the rain tray, removed.

What is this piece and what does it do? Also where EXACTLY is it in your car?

Cheers :)

This is the noise amplification device. It attaches to the end of the noise pipe, and is underneath the rain tray on the right hand side of the car.

goneD4rk

Banned

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Installed aluminium spindle to right front of my car today. Still need to do the other side tomorrow. The wheel bearing was a pain, everything else was easy.

Just had to make sure the nuts and bolts were the correct spec for these aluminium parts. The outer tie rod nut, 3x ball joint nuts, ball joint top nut, and the two 21mm brake bracket bolts were all different part numbers that were required.

100 N.m for the three nuts holding the ball joint instead of 60 N.m

200 N.m for the two 21mm brake bracket that bolts to the spindle.

Extremely Rusted Spindle

Scrubbed the Mating Surface Clean with a Wire Brush

Comparison of Aluminium Passat Spindle to stock GTI Spindle

After Install :thumbsup:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Great looking spindles...in for driving impressions.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
How do you like them?

I got mine installed at the same time as my LCAs and everything, so I never got a chance to feel them just on their own when added.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
How do you like them?

I got mine installed at the same time as my LCAs and everything, so I never got a chance to feel them just on their own when added.

I had the aluminium LCA installed on the right hand side for a week, and even with just that, I could feel the right hand side of the car was much more stable over the road, especially for sweeping turns that loads up the right front of the car. I could only imagine that adding the spindle would bring it up to another level! Will know by tomorrow when I do the left side too for sure.

After this, it's the BBK, which should save another 6 to 7 pounds per corner, if I remember correctly-

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Finished off the B6 passat aluminium spindle and control arms on both sides of the car now. The difference in the way the car rides over the road is amazing. Potholes are no longer harsh. In most cases, most potholes are simply smoothed out, and the car is less disturbed by the road surface. Interestingly, it also feels like the car has less feedback because less of the road can be read through the steering wheel. The OEM rubber bushings in the control arm are not super smooth, and has quite some resistance to get them moving. It would be nice to get lower friction bushings to improve the ride quality even more.

I can't test it any more now, because the steering wheel is now crooked to the right by 45 degrees. Alignment is needed ASAP.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
What BBK are you planning to run?

I went StopTech up front and it cut 1 pound per rotor and 6 pounds per caliper.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
What BBK are you planning to run?

I went StopTech up front and it cut 1 pound per rotor and 6 pounds per caliper.

Also Stoptech, with 328mm two piece rotors

Are you running two piece rotors?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Perpetuus, you may want to drop and reset your subframe, that's why your stearing wheel is so off. Even if you get an alignment to fix the steering wheel position, your geometry will be off. Try loosinging all the subframe bolts (without pulling them all the way) and getting it to a more neutral position. Also, I'm sure you know, but all of those bolts are one time use stretch bolts. They need to be replaced everytime you pull them.