GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PDC Retrofit Question

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
@Cuzoe no reply yet? :(

A small update: I received the genuine sensors just after a few days of ordering them. They are genuine German Valeo. I'm about to receive the genuine PDC brackets, and in the next week I'm supposed to receive the genuine harness.

I'll post updates soon.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Didn't see your previous reply, haha. If the vehicle side (Ali) harness ends with a 10-pin connector then moving the two pins for the license plate lights is a good option. That assumes the pins in your vehicle side two pin license plate connector are the same as the pins in that 10 pin connector.

As far as the wiring through the Ali Express vehicle/bumper connector... The safest thing to do would be a resistance check of the AliExpress bumper harness. Right down what each pin goes to and that tells you how both sides of the connector are pinned.

The reason I would do the resistance checks is because it doesn't really matter how that disconnect gets pinned as long as each sensor is ultimately wired to the proper pin at the PDC module.

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
@Fraysa @Cuzoe I had a few more significant events than the cable set last weekend, I upgraded the parking module and the rear buzzer stopped sounding. If this bothers you like me, the model you will buy should be compatible with your vehicle, if you want sound from the rear buzzer, the module you can use max is 5QA919298C.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@doctor, this is the module I have sitting in the garage now. Haven't installed it yet though, still running with my PLA2.0 module.

Attachments

• markup_11430.png
    markup_11430.png
    904.6 KB · Views: 77

danilomonte

Car(s)
T-Cross
Olá pessoal!

@IWMTom @Fraysa @Cuzoe @Luiz Henrique

Eu acompanhei todo esse tópico sobre a instalação do assistente de estacionamento golf mk7, então eu peço que este esquema de instalação funcione no t-cross, porque eu olhei muito na internet e não encontrei. Meu veículo veio da fábrica sem sensores de estacionamento, neste caso a instalação seria do zero. Se alguém pode me ajudar, como eu estou interessado em instalar tal acessório. Sendo apenas os sensores dianteiros e traseiros, 8 pontos, sem o assistente de estacionamento, apenas para ver as distâncias. Você tem que cortar fios do arreio do módulo do veículo?

Last edited:

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
So a small update:

I received the PDC brackets. As mentioned before, the PLA genuine ones are 27mm and facing at a slightly angle. This means I'll have to expand my current two side holes from 18mm to 27mm. Tomorrow I'll be going to a body workshop to get the two PLA brackets and 6 genuine sensors painted, as they came in a metallic color.

The genuine harness is released from customs, should arrive tomorrow probably.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
New update!

The genuine harness finally arrived. I picked it up yesterday and oh boy - what a difference compared to the AliExpress one. The genuine harness is super rigid, has all the necessary clips to properly mount to the bumper and is covered in plastic tubing compared to just electrical tape. The connectors have an extra "lock" that slides in (similar to other VW connectors) and I'm very happy with it.

Today I had some free time so I (for the 50th time) took out the bumper and started taking apart things.

1643458667484.png

My initial goal was to leave the genuine 10-pin harness intact, and connecting the two wires from the license plate lights connector to a 10-pin male connector so everything will work like it came from factory. However, I wasn't sure if the two wires use the exact same pin as the parking sensors wires and that also requires purchasing this male 10-pin connector which would delay the whole process. So instead, I opted for @Cuzoe's suggestion to disassemble the AliExpress 8-pin harness and use it with the genuine 10-pin harness to re-pin, while leaving out the two wires that are for the (original) license plate lights.

Before I started working on the wires, I figured I'd use the fact that I took out the bumper to increase the PLA holes from 18mm to 27mm. This is in order to accomodate the genuine brackets, which are not "flat" but angled towards the curb (I posted a proof on some other page before). The PLA brackets, similar to the front PLA bracktes, have a "lip" that has to be painted. My sensors and brackets are yet to be painted, however you can take a look at how it looks now after increasing. Note that it does not sit flush since I have leftover glue residue from the old bracket,.

1643458951753.png

1643458913233.png

Fortunately, I had a genuine VAG pinning tool that was a perfect match for these type of connectors which made this task very easy - the pins came out like butter from both connectors.

1643458698126.png

Next, I had to figure out which pins to insert the 8 (out of 10) wires from the genuine harness to the 8-pin connector. In the previous page, I documented a table of the pinouts for the 10-pin connector, however I could not find a wiring diagram for the 8-pin connector, so I figured since pin 1 & 2 on the 10-pin connector are used for the license plate, I should just deduct subtract 2 from each pin number (so for example, pin 10 on the 10-pin connector goes to pin 8 on the 8-pin connector, pin 5 to 3 and so on). While doing that, I verified the wire colors on the 10-pin connector diagram I posted on the previous page and the colors indeed matched. I wrapped everything in cloth tape (while taping those two extra wires for the license plate lights) and attached the plastic angle holder that came with the 10-pin connector - fit like a glove!

1643458754930.png

However, after everything was connected, the parking sensors still failed to work, even after resetting the DTC on VCDS. I assume this is obviously because my re-pinning process was based on a guess and not on the actual pinouts for the 8-pin connector. @Cuzoe or @IWMTom if you have any idea where I could get this, let me know.

I don't mind buying an hour pass to erWIN again, however using my VIN it only gave me the 10-pin connector diagram...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
....If I were in your shoes I would adapt the used OEM harness to match the Ali Express harness you installed on the car side. Cut the end off of the Ali-Express bumper harness (leaving a pig-tail) and do the same with your OEM bumper harness (leaving a pig-tail). You will then switch these pig-tails, so that your OEM harness has the connector from your Ali-Express harness. You will need to verify wiring, pin by pin, when switching the pigtails....
...As far as the wiring through the Ali Express vehicle/bumper connector... The safest thing to do would be a resistance check of the AliExpress bumper harness. Right Write down what each pin goes to and that tells you how both sides of the connector are pinned.

The reason I would do the resistance checks is because it doesn't really matter how that disconnect gets pinned as long as each sensor is ultimately wired to the proper pin at the PDC module...
These were my recommendations before if using the "pigtail switch" method....

New update...

Next, I had to figure out which pins to insert the 8 (out of 10) wires from the genuine harness to the 8-pin connector. In the previous page, I documented a table of the pinouts for the 10-pin connector, however I could not find a wiring diagram for the 8-pin connector, so I figured since pin 1 & 2 on the 10-pin connector are used for the license plate, I should just deduct subtract 2 from each pin number (so for example, pin 10 on the 10-pin connector goes to pin 8 on the 8-pin connector, pin 5 to 3 and so on). While doing that, I verified the wire colors on the 10-pin connector diagram I posted on the previous page and the colors indeed matched. I wrapped everything in cloth tape (while taping those two extra wires for the license plate lights) and attached the plastic angle holder that came with the 10-pin connector - fit like a glove!

However, after everything was connected, the parking sensors still failed to work, even after resetting the DTC on VCDS. I assume this is obviously because my re-pinning process was based on a guess and not on the actual pinouts for the 8-pin connector. @Cuzoe or @IWMTom if you have any idea where I could get this, let me know.

I don't mind buying an hour pass to erWIN again, however using my VIN it only gave me the 10-pin connector diagram...
Based on what you're seeing now I (more firmly) stand by that recommendation. Connecting anything without knowing the pinout is a risk I don't take. If you send 12V into something without built-in protection you could cause permanent damage.

The easy way (would have been) to check and write down the pinout of the Ali bumper harness (with it's plug still attached). That now tells you the pinout of the Ali vehicle side harness as well. From there you do your re-pinning/moving of pins as needed.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I did write the pinouts for the Ali harness, but only the numbers as I assumed they’d match. I guess it’s too late now.
Anything else I can do? :/

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Somehow, someway you've got to figure out which wires go to which sensors. I'm confused about what you wrote down, hopefully pin numbers and colors?

But if you still have the AliExpress harness (with plug) on the vehicle side you could do wiring checks from that plug to the PDC module plug.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Yeah, I wrote both color and PIN numbers for the Ali harness. Isn’t it possible to get the genuine 8 pin wiring diagram from erWIN though? That’s be much easier.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I posted all that Erwin drawings I have. If you can find them on Erwin then yes that would be easier 🤷🏿‍♂️. Remember that the AliExpress harness is a retrofit harness. So it's for cars that did not come with PDC from the factory. I would guess there is no 8 pin factory harness because all cars have license plate lights. That means if the car is specced with PDC it gets the harness with 10 pins... PDC and plate lights. If the car is not specced with PDC then it gets the 2 pin harness that we have.

It doesn't make sense for the makers of the retrofit harness to use a plug with more pins than they need, so they chose 8. And again, it does not matter what pins they use in that 8 pin plug. All that matters is that is that the wiring is correct from the PDC module to the sensors. That is the reason I recommended you do resistance checks before cutting anything. Then there is no need to make assumptions.

The pins at the Ali Express plug don't matter at all, as long as PDC 1 goes to Sensor 1, PDC 2 goes to Sensor 2, etc... The pins at the AliExpress plug could be any order (1,2, 3, 4, 5... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... 1, 4, 2, 5, 3). It doesn't matter, and it matters even less because this isn't a plug from the factory drawings so they have nothing to "get right" when they are choosing the pins. But the order does matter in your case since you are replacing the AliExpress plug.
PDC Module PinAli Express Plug PinSensor Pin

I'm not sure what more help I can provide. My opinion is you could have just diagnosed the problem with your AliExpress harness and repaired it. You've chosen to go down a more difficult path (for reasons I don't know) and then chosen not to accept advice helping you down that path. I try to help out anyone on the forums with anything I can (don't ask me a single thing about engine or transmission internals though, haha) but I'm not sure we're getting anywhere if we keep creating new challenges for ourselves.

Last edited:

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Oh, I think I understand what you are saying now.

Well, I did write the pin number and wire colors for the AliExpress harness before taking it apart. I guess what I can do is trace the wires by color and see what each wire color (pin) gets assigned to. Once I have that, I can get the male pins (on the bumper side) and see which one does what, and then re-pin as needed.

Is that what you mean?

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
OK, so I got the AliExpress 8-pin harness in front of me. From what I can see:

Wire ColorPurposePin NumberWire Color on Genuine Harness
Red/Yellow12V8Red/Yellow
Brown/WhiteGround7Brown/Yellow
Green/WhiteRight PLA2Red/Blue
GreenRight1Blue/Purple
Green/YellowRight Center3Red/Brown
Green/BrownLeft Center4Blue/Yellow
Green/BlueLeft6Blue/White
Green/GrayLeft PLA5Red/Green

I will update this post once I construct the harness.