GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PCV, EVAP questions.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I'm getting ready to put on my k04 and other parts, and I really want to solve the PCV issues. I'll be installing a new VC as well. But my main issues are:
- the SAI, I have a brand new turbo and don't want all that crap going into it
- the recirc nature of the PCV, again, I don't want all that crap going back through the intake plumbing

As for fixes, from what I've read, the options available are as follows. I'm curious what people are doing, and what's working.
- catch can
- VTA catch can
- ie evap bypass
- exhaust dump

Which of these, or combination of these work?

fastwire

Ready to race!
I run a pcv block off plate. simple and it works.

But also I would get a vta cc if I had to do it again. my 2 cents.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I have a Block Off as well, but I'm wanting a better solution. I'm thinking VTA CC, with IE bypass and SAI block off.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I ran VTA for awhile, it was a big waste of time and I wouldn't do it again. The problem is the EGR with valve timing, a bunch of crap gets puked into the intake manifold from the combustion chamber in the name of emissions. A catch can will help what you're trying to do but there is no magic bullet at the valves.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I ran VTA for awhile, it was a big waste of time and I wouldn't do it again. The problem is the EGR with valve timing, a bunch of crap gets puked into the intake manifold from the combustion chamber in the name of emissions. A catch can will help what you're trying to do but there is no magic bullet at the valves.

I don't really care about the valves, they're gonna have to get cleaned periodically regardless. What I'm trying to avoid is stuff going through the turbo, mainly.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I hear you, but I haven't really heard of turbo damage from pcv vapor. I'd think it's very minimal considering the amount of airflow and what makes it's way to the intercooler. Do you have any links or pics?

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I hear you, but I haven't really heard of turbo damage from pcv vapor. I'd think it's very minimal considering the amount of airflow and what makes it's way to the intercooler. Do you have any links or pics?

Only my k03; it's filthy. Idk, I just feel like it can't be good for the compressor.

you can vent the rear PCV to atmosphere, then nothing will get in from the inlet of the turbo. evap is just fuel fumes, and iirc we dont have SAI. the ecu just runs the engine at higher RPM for cat warming. unless your TSI

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
No, FSI. And thanks, I thought I read somewhere that we did have SAI. Anyone know if there is a kit for rear PCV VTE? Gonna start searching.