GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
That is a good deal, the 3070 alone is worth like $1200

Exactly. So you can pull out the card if the build isn't enough for you, throw in your old card perhaps, sell the rig for something and go on your merry way with your own build. I don't know though, this build looks pretty solid on its own. If anything, you can probably tweak things here and there as Ian said, if it doesn't quite do it for you. There is an option to upgrade to Liquid cooling but you can probably do that on your own.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I would like to drop in this thread to say I have won the Newegg shuffle 3 times in the past two weeks. 3060 TI, 3070 TI, 3080.

Crypto crashing and Ether going to proof of stake system so no more mining. Lots of miners will be selling their GPUs soon if you can wait it out a bit longer

I can address both of these concerns.

1.) Crypto swings are always wild, and those dedicated to mining have never been deterred by them in the past. I wouldn't hold your breath on more cards being available because of it.
2.) Ethereum PoS has been "in the pipes" for years now. There's still no date, and people are still acquiring hardware and mining just as hard. Feel free to believe what you want, but there's no reason to assume it's more likely to happen in the next 6 months, or the next 3 years.

There was a zotac 3080 on sale for $1099, and available for a short time, over the weekend. It was right on zotacs website.
Zotac's website is a good one to watch if you don't mind paying the markup. I almost always see something in stock over there.

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

1.) Crypto swings are always wild, and those dedicated to mining have never been deterred by them in the past. I wouldn't hold your breath on more cards being available because of it.
2.) Ethereum PoS has been "in the pipes" for years now. There's still no date, and people are still acquiring hardware and mining just as hard. Feel free to believe what you want, but there's no reason to assume it's more likely to happen in the next 6 months, or the next 3 years.
I understand where you're coming from but GPU prices are steadily declining right now and I see a lot of miners selling their cards to recoup some of that ROI as coins continue to fall. Imagine you bought your mining equipment when btc was 60k. It's 35k now you think those people will really keep mining as it becomes more and more unprofitable?

I don't think so

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I understand where you're coming from but GPU prices are steadily declining right now and I see a lot of miners selling their cards to recoup some of that ROI as coins continue to fall. Imagine you bought your mining equipment when btc was 60k. It's 35k now you think those people will really keep mining as it becomes more and more unprofitable?

I don't think so
almost nobody is mining BTC, but those who are mining other coins dont much care about the trading price. They are accumulating coins for the future and dont convert it into fiat.

Reactions: the

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
almost nobody is mining BTC, but those who are mining other coins dont much care about the trading price. They are accumulating coins for the future and dont convert it into fiat.
Now THAT is a valid point. How many miners move to more profitable coins will depends largely on how the crypto space does overall. But right now its looking like a bubble that is bursting

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Now THAT is a valid point. How many miners move to more profitable coins will depends largely on how the crypto space does overall. But right now its looking like a bubble that is bursting
It only looks like that to people who just started paying attention.

2018 saw a much bigger bust than this and everything came back bigger in the future. I'm not saying it will go one way or the other, but those who are invested in mining are taking the view that it will come back.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I would like to drop in this thread to say I have won the Newegg shuffle 3 times in the past two weeks. 3060 TI, 3070 TI, 3080.

Zotac's website is a good one to watch if you don't mind paying the markup. I almost always see something in stock over there.

What is this Newegg shuffle you speak of?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
With as expensive as GPU's are these days and how hard they are to get I really wish watercooling companies would sell more waterblocks for the lower end GPUs.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
newegg.com/product-shuffle

They basically rally off their GPU inventory sales every day to combat scalpers. You can sign up once a day for a chance to buy a video card.

Oh, that's neat. Too bad they don't include pre-mining prices with those rally off. After all, we (the gamers) would be using it for it's rightful purpose, lol.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
With as expensive as GPU's are these days and how hard they are to get I really wish watercooling companies would sell more waterblocks for the lower end GPUs.
yeah thatd be cool but the RnD costs probably prohibit it

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
So I almost bit the bullet yesterday morning. This site, stockx had a 3070 for 950. I was like, holy crap. A 3 series under a grand? I'm nearly about to click Buy but there was an acknowledgement at the bottom that you have to agree. It says, you authorize them to unseal the package to verify authenticity. I'm like, whaaaat? Hell no. This is more than likely used...

I then called my buddy who I mentioned up top from work and he told me to hold out. The 4 series will be dropping soon and that they're going to be monsters. Double the performance of the 3 and a lot less power consumption. With that, more price drops on the older cards. Not saying the older cards will just be given away free, but they'll probably be more around the triple digit price range...

Double the 30xx performance and lower power consumption? That would really, truly, be something. Even the 9xx to 10xx didn't pull that off, and Pascal was an absolute beauty. Everything since has been Pascal++ and just jack the wattage, a la Intel's playbook.

The only application a doubling in performance will impact actual gamers is for VR. Even 4k is sitting pretty on a 6900 or 3090.

The vast majority of high end gamers are using 1440p screens for the better display performance [refresh rate]-[input lag]-[image quality] trinity

At 1440p the current range of cards CPU limits even at 140fps in most games.

For example, at all max quality settings:

Gimme the 1% Lows tbh. My 6800xt can average ~100+ fps in Vanguard but the lows hurt. Gimme something that can hold 200 fps, I'll cap to 144, and the lows should still be buttery smooth at ~100 vs 60.

aight I take it all back Biden just fucked over crypto

What did I miss?