GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Pics of the setup!
I might work on that. I'm not the most organized, so it's not really pic worthy right now.

I have no idea how to manage all these cables I have either. I mean, I've got a tv, monitor, ps5, xbox one, comcast cable box, pc, subwoofer + speakers, an optical splitter, a modem, 2 routers, and there's probably something I'm still missing. All of that is placed on the same wall and within about 4 feet of each other. I look at the rats nest I've got and don't even know where to begin. I cleaned it up a little bit a few months ago, but it could still use a lot more work.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I might work on that. I'm not the most organized, so it's not really pic worthy right now.

I have no idea how to manage all these cables I have either. I mean, I've got a tv, monitor, ps5, xbox one, comcast cable box, pc, subwoofer + speakers, an optical splitter, a modem, 2 routers, and there's probably something I'm still missing. All of that is placed on the same wall and within about 4 feet of each other. I look at the rats nest I've got and don't even know where to begin. I cleaned it up a little bit a few months ago, but it could still use a lot more work.

I've got an entertainment center with cabinets and cable routing holes so that I'm able to hide the rats' nest. That's the secret! Sweep the mess under the bed.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I fixed the 120hz problems I was having. It wasn't the cable, but I've got a nice braided hdmi cable from spigen now. I just had the wrong option selected in the nvidia panel. I didn't realize the menu had a 'tv' option and a 'pc' option. I scrolled down further and after selecting a pc resolution it gave me the option for 120hz.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
So picked up a Gigabyte B550i Aorus and AMD Ryzen 5600G. Computer is running great now. The APU has plenty of performance for me to stream 4k and multitask.

Think I found out what my previous problem of random shutdowns were after removing the old CPU from the socket to take pictures to sell. 1-2 pins on the motherboard appeared to be bent. I took some small tweezers and got them back looking straight again.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
If anyone here has a NAS that needs more space, or is looking to build one, or just wants some cheap storage, Best Buy has 14TB easy stores on sale right now for $200 (about 50% off). They limit to 3 online but I was able to get a 4th in the store. Tou can shuck off the casing and then you have a regular 3.5" SATA HDD on the inside.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
After nearly a year in their queue, my number finally got called:

eat it nerds

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
5700xt liquid devil for $600 in March 2020 says "no you!"

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Haven't built one since the 80's. :) You young guys are spoiled, it cost me $2,200 back then for a middle of road build.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I got a few budget office pc's to put together again. The power supply is a bit overkill, but they were $36. It's so much better than the prebuilts I was seeing out there.

1642721624224.png

1642722221369.png

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
After nearly a year in their queue, my number finally got called:

eat it nerds

I wonder how hard it would be to score the 70 series whether 2070 or 3070. I've always been buying that level since the price deduction was substantial in comparison to the 80s (though now they have 90s...) and the performance decrease was marginal. My 1070 has been killin it for years, granted I don't game at 4K. I've been aching for a new build however, with these prices, I've been holding off. Really crappy time to be a PC gamer.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I wonder how hard it would be to score the 70 series whether 2070 or 3070. I've always been buying that level since the price deduction was substantial in comparison to the 80s (though now they have 90s...) and the performance decrease was marginal. My 1070 has been killin it for years, granted I don't game at 4K. I've been aching for a new build however, with these prices, I've been holding off. Really crappy time to be a PC gamer.

It's still insane, I tried the NewEgg shuffle for a while before I was forced to give up and ebay from a scalper. You'll have marginally better luck finding a 6700 or 6700xt.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
I'm gonna be upgrading my monitors soon from 1x1080@60hz and 1x720p@???hz (this thing is ancient. its like 12 inches and still used vga) to 2x1440p@144hz so I was looking to replace my GTX680 with a 6900 or 6900xt. That got shut down real quick when I went to look at prices. Hopefully by the time I get the rest of my stuff purchased they'll have come down a bit in price, definitely not spending almost $1k above MSRP on a card

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I'm gonna be upgrading my monitors soon from 1x1080@60hz and 1x720p@???hz (this thing is ancient. its like 12 inches and still used vga) to 2x1440p@144hz so I was looking to replace my GTX680 with a 6900 or 6900xt. That got shut down real quick when I went to look at prices. Hopefully by the time I get the rest of my stuff purchased they'll have come down a bit in price, definitely not spending almost $1k above MSRP on a card

What are you playing where you'd need a 6900xt for 1440p? Are you planning on playing merged?

The markups will continue until morale improves

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
What are you playing where you'd need a 6900xt for 1440p? Are you planning on playing merged?

The markups will continue until morale improves
I mainly play Apex but going top of the line worked out well for me last time, my 680 still gets by today, almost 10 years later, but the graphics are now on medium instead of ultra like they used to be. With a 6900 or xt I figure i'll get another 10 years or so out of it. Morale is gonna stay shit until markups stop continuing