GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I love reporting FB Marketplace sellers listing graphics cards at obscene prices. Ran into one yesterday with a listing image with 4X 3060Ti boxes, 3X 3070 boxes and 3X 3090 boxes. They were listed for $1500, $1900 and $2500, respectively. Dude's fucking insane.

Dude, I'm looking right now at Microcenter and Newegg. The prices are nearly 2k for graphic cards. I don't know if these prices will ever drop. What a horrible time to be a PC builder for a gamer. Like seriously, it is a crime. They should be making queues to buy them and confirming the usage. Like if you're not looking to farm with it and actually use it for what it was built for, sell it to that person for what it truly should go for as if farming didn't exist.

At this point I have no idea when I'll do a new build because unless I have a new card, what's the point?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Dude, I'm looking right now at Microcenter and Newegg. The prices are nearly 2k for graphic cards. I don't know if these prices will ever drop. What a horrible time to be a PC builder for a gamer. Like seriously, it is a crime. They should be making queues to buy them and confirming the usage. Like if you're not looking to farm with it and actually use it for what it was built for, sell it to that person for what it truly should go for as if farming didn't exist.

At this point I have no idea when I'll do a new build because unless I have a new card, what's the point?

It's cheaper to buy a pre-built with the GPU you want than it is to give a scalper money.

P52a2hk.gif

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
i work in IT support for a convenience chain. We reimage the HDD devices in our environment far more often than the SSD devices

Which brands do you use? (for both)

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI

They are making queues, but the prices are still pretty high.

At micro center here in Boston, to buy a high end card, you have to show ID and you can only buy 1 graphics card per person every 3 months.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
They are making queues, but the prices are still pretty high.

At micro center here in Boston, to buy a high end card, you have to show ID and you can only buy 1 graphics card per person every 3 months.

Yeah but are they giving them for normal pricing or still 2k? It's crazy.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Well, a 3090 or 6900xt is 2k, if it has bonkers cooling. Almost nobody needs those cards just yet.

A 6800xt is like a top of the line performance card that can run anything very well. They are 1400 for a red devil.

The prices will go back down, but I think the realistic view is that if you can get the performance you need (1440p monitor, 6700xt) then that should come back down to ~500 or less over the next year.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I would use mem test, unplugging a stick can gain stability inherently. need to make sure you get the pro version to allocate all ram

I ran mem test and it performed swimmingly. I ran all 8 cores til nearly 500% with no errors popping up. Then I ran a single core til nearly 1000% and again, no errors.

Just to make sure I'm not glazing over the dead simple stuff, I'm gonna get into my PC and just make sure all connections everywhere are firm. Then I'll dive further into software troubleshooting.

This is what my event viewer is looking like. Mostly just a cycle of 41 and 6008.

1633929017949.png

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I ran mem test and it performed swimmingly. I ran all 8 cores til nearly 500% with no errors popping up. Then I ran a single core til nearly 1000% and again, no errors.

Just to make sure I'm not glazing over the dead simple stuff, I'm gonna get into my PC and just make sure all connections everywhere are firm. Then I'll dive further into software troubleshooting.

This is what my event viewer is looking like. Mostly just a cycle of 41 and 6008.

View attachment 227614
Power supply is the next culprit. Usually I would just swap in a new one and try it, but you could check your voltages in HWinfo

1633949681195.png

Then you try motherboard, but its not your ram.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Power supply is the next culprit. Usually I would just swap in a new one and try it, but you could check your voltages in HWinfo

View attachment 227617

Then you try motherboard, but its not your ram.

I found something interesting, power-wise. Took this screen from HWinfo -- glad I already had it installed. Note the power reporting deviation accuracy. It says that 90-100% isn't an issue, but <90% is cause for concern. I find it hard to believe that it's the PSU because it's a barely-year-old Seasonic 750W 80Plat that's sized well for my system, but stranger things have happened. In any case, it's definitely under warranty.

1633962019609.png

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Hard to tell but if you're just getting hard reboots and it's not an oc problem then it's usually power related.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Hard to tell but if you're just getting hard reboots and it's not an oc problem then it's usually power related.

I'm gonna double check physical connections and then try to see if there are any other easy things to test. If I'm still getting the reboots, I'll be calling up Seasonic for a warranty replacement.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Just built up my first computer as I am still working from home. I am having hard restart issues with no BSOD, Windows recovery, ect. It seems to revolve around heavy graphics usage which can be scrolling and panning around quickly in Google Earth, a video chat with many participants and sharing my screen, YouTube videos in 4k, even opening a website such as AllTrails and moving around can cause a hard restart. I am using the integrated graphics because GPU pricing, but it can power two 4k monitors. I remote into my work computer from this home computer so the integrated graphics don't have to work too hard.

New - Cooler Master V SFX Gold 650W 80+ Gold PSU
Used - (From family member who never had issues) Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5, Core i-5 6600k no overclock, G.SKill TridentZ 16GB(2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200. Enabled XMP in BIOS.
New - Samsung 980 1TB M.2 2280 NVME SSD
New - Cooler Master NR200 Mini-ITX case, Cooler Master AIO ML240L V2

BIOS has been updated, new install of Windows 10, NVME drivers updated, Intel graphics driver install instead of Windows update driver, I have used another PSU and still have the same issue. Some days I can go with ever having a random hard restart, other days it is pretty bad and may have 4-5 instances.

I am familiar with HWiNFO but don't really know how to sift through the data at this power to isolate the issue.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Just built up my first computer as I am still working from home. I am having hard restart issues with no BSOD, Windows recovery, ect. It seems to revolve around heavy graphics usage which can be scrolling and panning around quickly in Google Earth, a video chat with many participants and sharing my screen, YouTube videos in 4k, even opening a website such as AllTrails and moving around can cause a hard restart. I am using the integrated graphics because GPU pricing, but it can power two 4k monitors. I remote into my work computer from this home computer so the integrated graphics don't have to work too hard.

New - Cooler Master V SFX Gold 650W 80+ Gold PSU
Used - (From family member who never had issues) Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5, Core i-5 6600k no overclock, G.SKill TridentZ 16GB(2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200. Enabled XMP in BIOS.
New - Samsung 980 1TB M.2 2280 NVME SSD
New - Cooler Master NR200 Mini-ITX case, Cooler Master AIO ML240L V2

BIOS has been updated, new install of Windows 10, NVME drivers updated, Intel graphics driver install instead of Windows update driver, I have used another PSU and still have the same issue. Some days I can go with ever having a random hard restart, other days it is pretty bad and may have 4-5 instances.

I am familiar with HWiNFO but don't really know how to sift through the data at this power to isolate the issue.
Disable xmp first. Just to eliminate that as a potential source.

You need to monitor your cpu temps and make sure you aren't having issues there.

Lastly, you need to look in event viewer for any errors that happen around shutdown.

Also, it's possible you are getting bsod, but the graphics isn't displaying for some reason. It's possible to prevent the cpu from auto restarting oGoogle.

Sorry I'm on mobile or I would provide links, but it all should be easily found on google.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Disable xmp first. Just to eliminate that as a potential source.

You need to monitor your cpu temps and make sure you aren't having issues there.

Lastly, you need to look in event viewer for any errors that happen around shutdown.

Also, it's possible you are getting bsod, but the graphics isn't displaying for some reason. It's possible to prevent the cpu from auto restarting oGoogle.

Sorry I'm on mobile or I would provide links, but it all should be easily found on google.
Thanks for the help.

I'll try disabling XMP. That would cause my memory to run at half the speed correct? I did do a mem test on it that took over and hour and everything was okay.

CPU is running at 35, GPU at 40, VRAM at 28, and SSD at 46(no heatsink with mobo design). I am way over cooled and over power supplied. I wanted this computer to be quiet though and AIO had lower dB's.

In Event Viewer I see a critical error as Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task Category 63, Keywords (70368744177664),(2), "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. this error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly".

When the system crashes the mobo lights go off, fans and LED's go off, then I get a click sound with a restart automatically.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Do you have a crappy video card you can test with? To eliminate the onboard graphics as the cause, your best bet would be to disable the onboard graphics in the bios after installing. I agree that for now your cooling and psu are not the issue