GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I had a shut down issue that i traced back to a bad ram stick that had failed all of the sudden during a case swap.
I would start there as its pretty easy to identify with memory test and/or simply unplugging a module if you have 2 or more.

In your case, was your computer still registering that RAM in its system? My computer info page and hardware monitor both still see all my RAM, as does my BIOS.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Yep it was still registering it, and it even passed one of the memory tests. But once i unplugged it, all the oddities and crashes immediately ceased.
I'll keep this in mind, thanks for the tip! Did any of your crash reports or events even hint at a memory problem? How'd you trace it to memory?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I would use mem test, unplugging a stick can gain stability inherently. need to make sure you get the pro version to allocate all ram

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just found out that Win11 isn't yet compatible with my "old" i7 -4790 Haswell CPU chipset....& support for Win10 runs out in 2025...Bar Stewards!!.. :mad:

Forced consumerism ..AGAIN..!!...MS & the chip makers have got to be in cahoots, especially since the cost of chipsets etc has rocketed in the past 18months.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You realize its 2021 and 2025 is 3+ years away right? just wait and dont switch to 11...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You realize its 2021 and 2025 is 3+ years away right? just wait and dont switch to 11...

Y.....I like to plan ahead.... 🤷‍♂️ ..Not switching to Win11 ASAP.......just getting fed up with the forced consumerism...as if there is no work around I'll have to get a new mobo & CPU...& god knows how expensive they will be then!!

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Y.....I like to plan ahead.... 🤷‍♂️ ..Not switching to Win11 ASAP.......just getting fed up with the forced consumerism...as if there is no work around I'll have to get a new mobo & CPU...& god knows how expensive they will be then!!

A good mobo and CPU (5600x and b550) is around $450 these days. The same price or less as theyve always been. At the same time, its about a 100% performance boost from your 4790 in almost every task. Unfortunately, you will have to get some ddr4, but thats not appreciably higher than it used to be these days.

The graphics card thing is really a problem, but in ~1 year it should come back down to earth.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
A good mobo and CPU (5600x and b550) is around $450 these days. The same price or less as theyve always been. At the same time, its about a 100% performance boost from your 4790 in almost every task. Unfortunately, you will have to get some ddr4, but thats not appreciably higher than it used to be these days.

The graphics card thing is really a problem, but in ~1 year it should come back down to earth.

I had just bought a 2070 Super when the 30XX series was announced. I was amazed at the next gen gigantic performance leap (the 20XX to 20XX Super jump was nowhere near as large), so I was pretty annoyed with myself for not waiting another month for the new hardware.

Turns out, I made a good decision because trying to buy a 30XX would've been a full-time job. I paid $500 flat for an overclocked Gigabyte 2070S during normal times and I was seeing those same cards listing for nearly double when things were really bad.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
trying to buy a 30XX would've been a full-time job.
I just did this, but for an xbox for a friend. It only took me 3 days to get my ps5 and that was back in Feb, so I told him I could get him one. It took 3 weeks of waiting for an alert and there were several times I got to checkout just for them to sellout before I could hit place order.

1633564010145.png

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

My graphics card is old..from my previous computer build....NVIDIA GeForce GT640 chipset on a Gigabyte card with 2GB.....& I was going to get a new one ..right at the time when prices when stupid....!!....so forgot that idea!!

& Yes a new mobo would mean newer RAM...currently got 16GB of matched DDR3 sticks.

TBH the thing that makes it slow are the spinney discs...I had SSD which suddenly failed (Controller board)..so stuck with old tech.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
My graphics card is old..from my previous computer build....NVIDIA GeForce GT640 chipset on a Gigabyte card with 2GB.....& I was going to get a new one ..right at the time when prices when stupid....!!....so forgot that idea!!

& Yes a new mobo would mean newer RAM...currently got 16GB of matched DDR3 sticks.

TBH the thing that makes it slow are the spinney discs...I had SSD which suddenly failed (Controller board)..so stuck with old tech.
You would probably be super well served by an upgrade! and you could do it without buying a graphics card. AMD's new integrated GPU CPU units are actually very legit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cYnGK3

This for instance would be a huge upgrade and very quick system these days. You could always add in a GPU later when the prices come down.

I didnt include a power supply, but I'm always in favor of having a quality unit and upgrading efficiency can put a little money back in your pocket down the line.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Chiming in late to this thread but yeah I also build my own PCs. Have since around 2000. My latest build is around 6 years old now but has been a total champ. Back then it was beast and started to show it's age slightly due to graphic card. I upgraded that about 2 1/2 years ago and it has been given a second career, lol. Though now it just might be getting older where I need a new build.

It had a 970gtx that I swapped out with a 1070ti. It has an i7 processor that I can't recall the generation but it's around 6 years old. 16gb of DDR4 memory and 2 SSD hdds (I know now we got the NVMe these days but my mobo doesn't support them). Windows 10 with zero bloatware or even an aftermarket anti-virus. I stick with Windows Defender paired with Adblock Pro for web browsing. I've been virus free for years and PC runs optimal. I only have a 1080p monitor so it is limited there, but because of that I can still just about crank up any game to the max and it breezes through them. Of course I don't get all the new bells and whistles that come with the new cards such as Ray Tracing, but that's fine. The new build I put forth will come with all the new goodies.

Oh yeah, funny too when you said, any other expensive hobbies besides cars. I WISH I only stuck with PC building in my life, lol. When I was 15 yrs old doing it, I was like, how the hell can I afford a motherboard/graphic card/memory. Nowadays, it's like, the price of all of that is 1 car part. It's actually disgusting, lol. I would totally go back to PC building only.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You would probably be super well served by an upgrade! and you could do it without buying a graphics card. AMD's new integrated GPU CPU units are actually very legit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cYnGK3

This for instance would be a huge upgrade and very quick system these days. You could always add in a GPU later when the prices come down.

I didnt include a power supply, but I'm always in favor of having a quality unit and upgrading efficiency can put a little money back in your pocket down the line.

If I have to I'll swap out the mobo, & CPU & RAM....My "old" power supply is a half decent "Pure Power" 530w Bronze unit from "Be Quiet" & its very quiet! Besides the mentioned mobo/RAM/graphics card it also runs 4x WD 500Gb hard disc drives...(not SSD)...(2x 3.5inch format & 2x 2.5inch format) all in the Corsair Micro ATX case...Keeping that lot cool are 6 x Nanoxia "Deep Silence" fans, again all low power & very quiet. In fact the greatest sound reduction was lining the case with Dynamat to stop panel resonance!

Chiming in late to this thread but yeah I also build my own PCs. Have since around 2000. My latest build is around 6 years old now but has been a total champ. Back then it was beast and started to show it's age slightly due to graphic card. I upgraded that about 2 1/2 years ago and it has been given a second career, lol. Though now it just might be getting older where I need a new build.

It had a 970gtx that I swapped out with a 1070ti. It has an i7 processor that I can't recall the generation but it's around 6 years old. 16gb of DDR4 memory and 2 SSD hdds (I know now we got the NVMe these days but my mobo doesn't support them). Windows 10 with zero bloatware or even an aftermarket anti-virus. I stick with Windows Defender paired with Adblock Pro for web browsing. I've been virus free for years and PC runs optimal. I only have a 1080p monitor so it is limited there, but because of that I can still just about crank up any game to the max and it breezes through them. Of course I don't get all the new bells and whistles that come with the new cards such as Ray Tracing, but that's fine. The new build I put forth will come with all the new goodies.

Oh yeah, funny too when you said, any other expensive hobbies besides cars. I WISH I only stuck with PC building in my life, lol. When I was 15 yrs old doing it, I was like, how the hell can I afford a motherboard/graphic card/memory. Nowadays, it's like, the price of all of that is 1 car part. It's actually disgusting, lol. I would totally go back to PC building only.

My current computer I built in 2015, but uses a graphics card & power supply from an upgrade I did to the previous one..so they're about another 2yrs older!...

"other expensive hobbies" besides cars & PCs..... .....photography, ski mountaineering, winter mountaineering, climbing, Hi-fi ........too many!!