GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So I didn't build this but did pick it up today. Dell R620 with 2xE5-2650v2 (8c, 16t) and 128GB of memory. Don't have any drives for it yet but probably gonna do a 128gb ssd I had laying around from my laptop, then 3x~1TB SSDs for vm storage in some sort of raid configuration. The main things i'll be running is a jellyfin server, home assistant, and a few websites i'm currently hosting on a mac mini. I'm sure i'll find some more stuff to host down the road as well.

I have a very similar setup from Boxx Workstations for 3D rendering. And another couple of workstations with a similar setup, but just one processor each for actual production work. I have yet to max out my RAM haha.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
The GPU situation is so dire, I saw a FB Marketplace listing for a dusty-ass 1080Ti for a healthy $950.

I felt dumb having just bought a 2070 Super when the 3000 series was announced... not feeling so dumb these days.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
had to stand in line with 100 other people during the height of the pandemic to get my 3070.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I could swap back to my 1070 and sell my 5700xt for like a crazy profit... but probably not gonna do that haha.

Paid normal msrp for the 5700xt liquid devil, think about 500

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Just saw this thread for the first time. I am an og PC builder.

2 of my builds used to be featured on mdpc. My flagship build came in 2nd in mod of the year on bit-tech, won the mod contest at Intel extreme lanfest northeast, and was featured on the cover of computer power user magazine. It's still my computer today but it has been rebuilt fully about 4 times since its original iteration.

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I could swap back to my 1070 and sell my 5700xt for like a crazy profit... but probably not gonna do that haha.

Paid normal msrp for the 5700xt liquid devil, think about 500
If you are not mining with the 5700xt try to get a new card and sell it, I have 3 6800xt on order for around 800-1000 dollar a piece but non delivered yet but was able to pick up a Sapphire Nitro+ 6700xt for 800 and sold my 5700xt for the same lol.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Full Setup Details:

PC & Cooling:
CPU: 3600x OC under EK full board waterblock
Mobo: ASUS C6H (thankful for the AM4 socket, this board originally had a 1600x)
RAM: 16gb DDR4 3600 CL14 (IF @ 1800mhz)
GPU: 5700xt Liquid Devil OC
Storage: 1tb Samsung 870 Evo
PSU: Some good power supply, honestly forgot which one, 850w
Cooling: 140.3 Alphacool Rad, Thermochill PA120.2, Dual D5 with EK housing in series
Power Quality: APC Power conditioner and surge

Display:
Main: 27" MG279 144hz IPS 2560x1440
Top: LG Ultrawide 2560x1080 on top
Side: Dell IPS 27" 2560x1440

Input:
Keeb: KBD 8xMkII with KBDpad mkII (Brass Plate, Zealios 67g, MT3 Camillo, Durock stabs, Krytox 205g0)
Mouse: Glorious Model D
Mousepad: Glorious Desk Mat

Audio:
Headphones: Dan Clark Aeon RT Open
Microphone: AT 2020+ USB
Speakers: Kanto Yu2 Walnut

Furniture:
Desk: IKEA walnut countertop
Chair: Secretlab Titan

Comp setup Final.jpg

(Man its a bit obvious I need to wash the desk mat in this photo)

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Full Setup Details:

PC & Cooling:
CPU: 3600x OC under EK full board waterblock
Mobo: ASUS C6H (thankful for the AM4 socket, this board originally had a 1600x)
RAM: 16gb DDR4 3600 CL14 (IF @ 1800mhz)
GPU: 5700xt Liquid Devil OC
Storage: 1tb Samsung 870 Evo
PSU: Some good power supply, honestly forgot which one, 850w
Cooling: 140.3 Alphacool Rad, Thermochill PA120.2, Dual D5 with EK housing in series
Power Quality: APC Power conditioner and surge

Display:
Main: 27" MG279 144hz IPS 2560x1440
Top: LG Ultrawide 2560x1080 on top
Side: Dell IPS 27" 2560x1440

Input:
Keeb: KBD 8xMkII with KBDpad mkII (Brass Plate, Zealios 67g, MT3 Camillo, Durock stabs, Krytox 205g0)
Mouse: Glorious Model D
Mousepad: Glorious Desk Mat

Audio:
Headphones: Dan Clark Aeon RT Open
Microphone: AT 2020+ USB
Speakers: Kanto Yu2 Walnut

Furniture:
Desk: IKEA walnut countertop
Chair: Secretlab Titan

View attachment 210750
(Man its a bit obvious I need to wash the desk mat in this photo)
Are these secret lab chairs comfortable? I have a $500 Serta chair from Office Max but it's not full back... thinking about replacing it but I don't want to take a step down into "Gamer" branded stuff because it's not always what it claims to be.

Ryzen 2700
RTX 3070

I get the itch and buy computer stuff sometimes... but I don't really enjoy playing games anymore.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Are these secret lab chairs comfortable? I have a $500 Serta chair from Office Max but it's not full back... thinking about replacing it but I don't want to take a step down into "Gamer" branded stuff because it's not always what it claims to be.

Ryzen 2700
RTX 3070

I get the itch and buy computer stuff sometimes... but I don't really enjoy playing games anymore.
From my personal perspective I have owned/used the following chairs:
  • DxRacer standard - Cheap crap
  • Vertagear SL1000 - Fine if you are on the smaller side and want something cheaper
  • Vertagear SL4000 - Dont recommend, As a 6'2" 185 male, I found it to be too tight in the seat and too soft cushion surface that you sit on. Gave me leg nerve problems.
  • Autonomous Smart Chair - Really good budget option for a mesh chair. If you run hot then mesh is nice.
  • Herman Miller Aeron - Incredible chair, price to match. Can buy used at office supply stores for a more reasonable price
  • Secretlab Titan (current)
The Secretlab is much different than the others on that list in 3 ways - Much more supportive, firm even, which I like. Much higher quality (except for the Aeron obviously). Has an integrated adjustable lumbar support like a car.

I am very happy with the Titan, but it may not be exactly for everyone. The pricing is pretty good for them right now, used to be more.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
From my personal perspective I have owned/used the following chairs:
  • DxRacer standard - Cheap crap
  • Vertagear SL1000 - Fine if you are on the smaller side and want something cheaper
  • Vertagear SL4000 - Dont recommend, As a 6'2" 185 male, I found it to be too tight in the seat and too soft cushion surface that you sit on. Gave me leg nerve problems.
  • Autonomous Smart Chair - Really good budget option for a mesh chair. If you run hot then mesh is nice.
  • Herman Miller Aeron - Incredible chair, price to match. Can buy used at office supply stores for a more reasonable price
  • Secretlab Titan (current)
The Secretlab is much different than the others on that list in 3 ways - Much more supportive, firm even, which I like. Much higher quality (except for the Aeron obviously). Has an integrated adjustable lumbar support like a car.

I am very happy with the Titan, but it may not be exactly for everyone. The pricing is pretty good for them right now, used to be more.
How are the arm rests holding up? That's my most concerning part, looks flimsy.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
How are the arm rests holding up? That's my most concerning part, looks flimsy.
On the secretlab? They the best I've used. All metal construction except for the padded part.

Reactions: the