GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Anyone here do homelab stuff? I'm gonna be getting into it eventually once I get a house I can run cables in

Kinda? I like home networking as a hobby, and I just recently got a NAS server set up. At a different house I used to have a Raspberry Pi on my network running a standalone ADS-B receiver--decoding transponder signals transmitted from aircraft and tracking them real-time, like a homemade air traffic control scope. I wanna set one up again once I get another Pi (old one died) and I figure out a good place to mount the antenna and route the cables.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
Kinda? I like home networking as a hobby, and I just recently got a NAS server set up. At a different house I used to have a Raspberry Pi on my network running a standalone ADS-B receiver--decoding transponder signals transmitted from aircraft and tracking them real-time, like a homemade air traffic control scope. I wanna set one up again once I get another Pi (old one died) and I figure out a good place to mount the antenna and route the cables.

I have a pi now setup that has deluge running for torrents and a 1TB usb drive as a nas. I tried to also have it setup as a pi-hole but my router sucks and doesn't support DHCP over DNS or something like that and the chipset doesn't let me put on a custom firmware.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I'm just gonna slide in here and see if you guys have any suggestions for a new laptop. I have an old paper weight HP, and I plan on needing one when I get my car tuned. I'd like to get a nice one, but honestly just need it for the basics. Won't be playing any crazy games or doing a bunch of video.

I've been using a macbook pro for the past 6-7 years and contemplating selling it also. Thanks

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Do you have a Microcenter near you? They have smoking hot deals on various things throughout the year, including laptops. Sounds like you need internet, basic work stuff (MS Office), maybe some video streaming? Something with an Intel i3 or i5 with at least 8GB of RAM should do you fine. Get whatever amount of storage you feel comfortable with.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
No microcenter, pretty much bestbuy/target/walmart.
Didn't you buy your GTI in Dallas? Did you drive far? Because there's a Micro Center in North Dallas. I lived in the area for a long time and I still go back frequently. Bought my processor and mobo from that Micro Center, actually.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Didn't you buy your GTI in Dallas? Did you drive far? Because there's a Micro Center in North Dallas. I lived in the area for a long time and I still go back frequently. Bought my processor and mobo from that Micro Center, actually.

I guess I had just never heard of it. I moved near fort wort a few months ago, and that store is 60 miles from me. Maybe I could try Frys in Arlington

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I guess I had just never heard of it. I moved near fort wort a few months ago, and that store is 60 miles from me. Maybe I could try Frys in Arlington
Oh yeah, I forgot about Fry's. That's a great store too.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Any brands you recommend or ones to stay away from?
I've never had a problem with ASUS laptops. What's your price range, if you don't mind me asking?

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
So, I'm an obvious cheapskate, but...

If all you need a laptop for is your car (VCDS or whatever), internet and basic Office type stuff, you can get a decent refurbished laptop on eBay or other vendors for just a couple hundred. HP, Dell, Lenovo lease returns.

Toss in an SSD and max out the ram. It won't be as light and slim as the newest models, but even an old i5 works fine for mundane computing. The last few I bought look nearly new.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Bit late to this thread, but I used to build PC's for my friends, and still build them for myself.
Was going to start a new build this year (in fact I have the case already thanks to a birthday gift), but we decided to move. I had all my parts picked out and was ready to start purchasing about 2 months ago, but I'll probably have to refine that list a bit come February when I can hopefully pick it back up again. Since my last tower died (I built it in 9th grade, I've since graduated COLLEGE) I've been dealing with my Macbook Pro that has 16 gigs of ram, and a 500gb SSD in it that I swapped in.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I'd say 3-6ish...
@Chad13762 brings up a great point - a refurbished laptop could be a great deal for you if you don't need the laptop for much. Oftentimes I trust refurb electronics more than new ones, since they get individual attention. The only brand I'm not a fan of is Lenovo; they've done shady things before.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Cross-posting from GolfMKV (even though OT is all merged and weird stuff now haha) "Let's see your PC" thread...

Anyone in here happen to have an SLI-ready, 1,000 watt power supply just gathering dust in their closet? I'm looking to add a second video card to my current build (I do a lot of 3D rendering on the GPU, so the more Cuda cores, the better) and my 650 watt isn't capable of handling it haha.