GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Ive been looking at making a new PC as my current one is having issues thanks to the CPU.
im running an ivory bridge i5 and while the GTX970 GPU works for what i need the CPU has been lack luster in performance.

Is it worth just going with a new CPU/mobo, since you're happy with your GPU?

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Wow that looks beautiful. Would you mind sharing the build components and if it was built for 2k or 4k?

Sure, components are all available here.

The list is long, but the main specs are:

• Asus Maximus IX Formula Motherboard
  • 2 x EVGA 1080 TI
  • 32 GB G.Skill Trident DDR4-3733 MHZ
  • 500 GB Samsung 960 EVO
  • 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

It's fully hardline watercooled, with a 420mm rad up top, a thiiiiiic 240 rad in the front and a little 120 rad in the back.

Here's a Fire Strike run for some performance metrics (https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13699316).

I built it originally for 4k but there weren't any decent 4k monitors at the time, so it's mostly ran 2K. But it's way overpowered for a 2k machine.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!

• 2 x EVGA 1080 TI
  • 500 GB Samsung 960 EVO
  • 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

It's fully hardline watercooled, with a 420mm rad up top, a thiiiiiic 240 rad in the front and a little 120 rad in the back.

Here's a Fire Strike run for some performance metrics (https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13699316).

I built it originally for 4k but there weren't any decent 4k monitors at the time, so it's mostly ran 2K. But it's way overpowered for a 2k machine.

Can we be Friends?

i cant believe the cost of that Ram and Motherboard.
What are you playing on a machine like that and have you since bought a 4k Monitor?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

• 2 x EVGA 1080 TI
  • 500 GB Samsung 960 EVO
  • 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

JEEZUS man, you tryna render the universe? This is definitely a killer build. Did you get any kind of deal on those cards?

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
That's a beautiful rig up there.

Just had my new daily delivered. Feels weird going to the dark side full time.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
That's a beautiful rig up there.

Just had my new daily delivered. Feels weird going to the dark side full time.

To be honest, I miss the dark side sometimes. I'm a big fan of industrial design and nothing on the PC side (laptop-wise) comes close to a MacBook Pro. Also, not a single PC touchpad feels as good as its MacBook counterpart.
But alas, I need Windows for various professional programs and they all run like dogshit on Bootcamp.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Can we be Friends?

i cant believe the cost of that Ram and Motherboard.
What are you playing on a machine like that and have you since bought a 4k Monitor?

I started with a 4k monitor, but it was only 60hz, which doesn't cut it. I haven't bought one of the 144hz 4k monitors yet, but probably will eventually.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
JEEZUS man, you tryna render the universe? This is definitely a killer build. Did you get any kind of deal on those cards?

Some graphics editing. A lot of of gaming. And a lot of overclocking. I really just enjoy pushing the limits on things and I was living in NYC when I built it so I didn't have other outlets to spend time and money on.

I didn't really get a deal on the graphics cards. I started with 1080 Hydro Coppers and the tis got released a month or two later, so I traded in on the EVGA trade up program.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
So now that the new AMD chips have been announced, what are everyone's opinions?

I'm personally very impressed. I'm pretty much just waiting on user benchmarks to make my final decision, but I'm very impressed with both the R7 3700X and the R7 3800X, considering I was planning on buying an i7-9700K.

The R9 3950X is an absolute monster and would make last year's Threadrippers sweat. I wonder what insanity the Zen2 Threadrippers will be? I read a rumor somewhere they're planning on a 64C/128T CPU. I'd never need that much horsepower, but WOW.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
So now that the new AMD chips have been announced, what are everyone's opinions?

I'm personally very impressed. I'm pretty much just waiting on user benchmarks to make my final decision, but I'm very impressed with both the R7 3700X and the R7 3800X, considering I was planning on buying an i7-9700K.

The R9 3950X is an absolute monster and would make last year's Threadrippers sweat. I wonder what insanity the Zen2 Threadrippers will be? I read a rumor somewhere they're planning on a 64C/128T CPU. I'd never need that much horsepower, but WOW.

I will say my next Chip will be AMD.
i am using an i52550k soooo and like DDR3-1600 at 16Gb RAM.

sooooo anything will be better, my only worry is using AMD with my Nvidia GTX970 . Not sure how that will work.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I will say my next Chip will be AMD.

i am using an i52550k soooo and like DDR3-1600 at 16Gb RAM.

sooooo anything will be better, my only worry is using AMD with my Nvidia GTX970 . Not sure how that will work.
Nothing I've read indicates that there will be any issue running an AMD CPU with an Nvidia GPU. Just make sure that the AM4 Mobo that you'll need to get will support the GPU and you should be fine.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Nothing I've read indicates that there will be any issue running an AMD CPU with an Nvidia GPU. Just make sure that the AM4 Mobo that you'll need to get will support the GPU and you should be fine.

Well anything will be better than my current set up.
I would like to change my case as well. i cannot decided which one i want.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion

Well anything will be better than my current set up.
I would like to change my case as well. i cannot decided which one i want.

No compatibility issues what so ever.
Nvidia works just as well with both intel and AMD.
AMD CPU with AMD GPU have some additional perks especially if your running low spec gpu and an APU.
But otherwise those things are meaningless and dont benefit 99.9% of customers.

Whats happening with your i5?
The 2550K is still a fairly good chip especially in single threaded performance. Even better if you OC it a bit.

Youll definitely benefit a bit by going with a new chip but thats mostly gonna be benefits from more cores for multithreaded applications and updated chipset (ie more PCIE lanes).

an i5 2550K with a gtx 970 is still fairly decent, especially for 1080p gaming.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I'm currently talking with a guy on Craigslist selling a 1080Ti for $375. You read that right.
Trying to get more information about it, seeing if it's too good to be true.

I wasn't planning on overspec-ing my PC and I already have a 1060 6GB, but this is too good to not investigate.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I'm currently talking with a guy on Craigslist selling a 1080Ti for $375. You read that right.
Trying to get more information about it, seeing if it's too good to be true.

I wasn't planning on overspec-ing my PC and I already have a 1060 6GB, but this is too good to not investigate.

Is a used 1080ti still worth $375? Wow