GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Yeesh, yeah. I only want a 1440p 25" 60Hz panel, but I'm still overpaying because I need IPS and near-perfect color replication. Currently set on a Dell U2518D, unless something better comes along.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
That's not bad. IPS is totally worth it too. The ultrawide I have now is IPS and I love it. It's just bottlenecking my pc now that it's only 1080p and 75hz.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
My graphics card is only good for 60Hz on 1440p at medium settings, so I won't be suffering much. I'll probably only be playing indie games anyway. Like Hyper Light Drifter or Sable and Narita Boy, whenever those two come out. Not planning on being too gaming intensive.
But that 9700K is gonna blast through the CAD and Lightroom/Photoshop work I toss at it. Can't wait. I get annoyed every time I use my laptop now.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My graphics card is only good for 60Hz on 1440p at medium settings, so I won't be suffering much. I'll probably only be playing indie games anyway. Like Hyper Light Drifter or Sable and Narita Boy, whenever those two come out. Not planning on being too gaming intensive.
But that 9700K is gonna blast through the CAD and Lightroom/Photoshop work I toss at it. Can't wait. I get annoyed every time I use my laptop now.

lol, I can barely export some of the bitmap files I make with Illustrator on my work PC. I'll be bringing my old pc to work to replace it. It's just a i5 3570k with a gtx 1060, but it'll beat the hell out of this work pc with an intel G870, whatever the hell that is, and no gpu.

Probably gonna bring my current ultrawide to work once I replace that too. I'd love to have an ultrawide with a 2nd monitor at work. One monitor just to play videos while I work and the ultrawide as my main monitor.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
My work PC is actually pretty damn good, but there's so much encryption and government piggyback software on it that it feels slower than it is. It's got a pair of 8-core Xeon CPUs, 32GB RAM and an older high-end Quadro. Pretty good for commercial work stuff.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I used to build my own PCs. Then the video card market got really stupid so last summer I purchased an Alienware Aurora R7 with a 1070 ti. It pushes the games I like to pay with all the settings cranked on a 1440p monitor.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I already got a 1060 6GB from EVGA for $160, but a 1070 Ti popped up locally for only $200.
Trying to figuring out if it's worth the time to buy the 1070 and sell the 1060 somewhere.

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't even see it an hour ago and the posting has already been deleted. 2slo

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I already got a 1060 6GB from EVGA for $160, but a 1070 Ti popped up locally for only $200.
Trying to figuring out if it's worth the time to buy the 1070 and sell the 1060 somewhere.

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't even see it an hour ago and the posting has already been deleted. 2slo

If you see another one, I'd grab it quick at $200. I'm very happy with mine. I have it hooked up to a G-Sync capable monitor and everything runs great. I think the latest game I've been playing lately is F1 2018, all settings cranked at 1440p and the frame-rate never dips below 60 FPS at the worst. Usually a good bit higher than that.

I've been in Everspace a lot over the last week and I'm enjoyed playing the "how many big explosions does it take to piss off my PC" game and the best I can do is get it to temporarily dip down to 30 FPS as I'm blowing up fuel tanks as fast as I can shoot.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Another Rakuten 15% off today.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Ooo I would definitely try to get that 1070 ti.
I picked up my 1070 on release, love it.

I wish I had snagged it when it popped up on Craigslist! Gone within the day it was posted.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Another Rakuten 15% off today.

I got impatient and finished my build already lol

Newegg had a small sale on the cpu and mobo I wanted, and they don't charge tax so it ended up being about the same as a rakuten sale.

It's pretty much looking like that right now. I've got blue lights on the ram and mobo and then the fans and the reservoir are both white. The fans are set up with a temperature setting. When it's at idle temps the fans are fairly dim, but as it approaches 60 celsius they reach full brightness. I keep my pc's on 24/7 and I didn't want the lights disturbing me at night, the temp setting is perfect for that.

I need to make a sticker to cover up the green light on the gpu. I'm gonna cut out a blue sticker with my vinyl cutter at work. It'll look a lot better with that green light gone.

My parts list ended up like this:
Case - Fractal Define R6
Fans - Corsair LL140 x4
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+
Ram - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8 GB 3000 MHz C15 x4
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + Samsung 860 Evo 1tb
GPU - PNY RTX 2070
Cooler - Alphacool Eissturm Hurricane 45 3x120mm
CPU - i7-9700k
Mobo - Gigabyte - Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi

Installation went pretty simple. Took a few attempts trying to turn it on until I realized I forgot to install 2 sticks of ram, then it turned on with the first attempt and gave me 0 problems installing windows and no compatibility issues with my hardware.

I love how quick it is. The m2 nvme is amazing. It's quiet as hell, but the pump can make some noise under a load. I'm thinking I need to adjust the pump curve so it stays quieter longer, but increase the fan speeds to kick on faster sooner.

I've been seeing like 33-36 degrees at idle and the highest temps I've seen under load was 62, but it usually sits at 59 or below. I need to do a real test though. I've just been watching the temps as I play Division 2 on all the highest settings, but the i7 7900k eats that game up. It's only putting about a 15% load on the cpu.

Future plans would be to replace the 2070 with a 2080 or a 2080ti, or a newer gpu if something comes out before I upgrade in the next year or 2. Then get a waterblock for the gpu and add the gpu into the water cooling loop.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
You're looking really good! I really want to finish my build ASAP, but my landlord dropped the news that he's kicking me and girlfriend out because he wants to sell the house. He's letting us finish out the lease and he's within his rights, but it still blows. So now I have to set funds aside for a new rental "closing costs". Good news is, I didn't have to downgrade on a garage - still got a place with a two-car.

No mods and no computer parts for a little while :(

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I scored my monitor this past week; Dell Ultrasharp 25" 1440p IPS. I found a used unit on eBay that looked to be in excellent condition with all original packaging. Ended up winning the bid and paid 40% under MSRP. Tested it and it is indeed in excellent condition!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
My parts list ended up like this:
Case - Fractal Define R6
Fans - Corsair LL140 x4
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+
Ram - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8 GB 3000 MHz C15 x4
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + Samsung 860 Evo 1tb
GPU - PNY RTX 2070
Cooler - Alphacool Eissturm Hurricane 45 3x120mm
CPU - i7-9700k
Mobo - Gigabyte - Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi

Nice build, I pulled the trigger last spring (before the 9xxx series Intel chips launched) and ended up with a pretty similar spec:

Case - Fractal Define C
Fans - 2x Noctua NF-P14s intake, 1x Noctua S12A exhaust
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 3000 MHz C15 x2 (RAM prices at that time were double what they are now, hence staying with 2x8GB)
SSD - Western Digital Black NVMe 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB (from 2013!) + 2x2TB WD Red HDD
GPU - Nvidia RTX 2070 Founders Edition (with Nvidia employee discount from relative)
Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with Noctua NF-F12 fan
CPU - i7 8700k, stock clocks until heatsink upgrade
Mobo - ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H

A few things like the GPU and NVMe drive are more recent upgrades.

Monitor: Dell SG2716DG 27" 1440p 144Hz G-SYNC

The trigger finger is currently hovering over:
Cooler - Noctua NH-U14S
SSD - Intel 660p 2TB for bulk storage, to move the spinning disks to my secondary PC
RAM - 32GB kit

Future plans would be to replace the 2070 with a 2080 or a 2080ti, or a newer gpu if something comes out before I upgrade in the next year or 2. Then get a waterblock for the gpu and add the gpu into the water cooling loop.

What kind of resolution you running where a 2070 isn't sufficient? I'm typically on a ~2-3 year GPU upgrade cycle as well, core components roughly every 6 years.