GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paypal Question

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm ignorant of Paypal. I bought a Paypal Mycash card, and when I tried to load it to the Paypal account I just created, it said I needed to input my birthdate and SSN, in addition to my name and address. I'm concerned about identity theft.

What can I do to avoid giving Paypal all my personal information? If I can't, does anyone want to buy a $45 card for $40 shipped (US)?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
All banks and credit card issuers collect that information when you open an account, it is required by law. Paypal is a major player in online payment processing, and I have faith in them safeguarding the information.

If you want to be able to pay online without providing that information, purchase a pre-paid Mastercard or Visa.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I had my identity stolen through PayPal back in 2006. Opened a new account to use solely for PP and then about 6 months and 5 or so purchases later, BAM!

I have since forgiven PayPal and have started a new account with them and so far so good. Keeping fingers crossed though.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I had my identity stolen through PayPal back in 2006. Opened a new account to use solely for PP and then about 6 months and 5 or so purchases later, BAM!

I have since forgiven PayPal and have started a new account with them and so far so good. Keeping fingers crossed though.

How do you think it was done?

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
How do you think it was done?

I have no idea, but the account I had was exclusively for PP and they are the only ones who can see that information. Not too hard to think an employee with access to this information just took it off their records.

When I worked for an aftermarket auto-parts retailer, we had access to address, names, CC #'s, everything we'd need to buy what we wanted and never look back. Of course, I never did that and would never do that.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have no idea, but the account I had was exclusively for PP and they are the only ones who can see that information. Not too hard to think an employee with access to this information just took it off their records.

When I worked for an aftermarket auto-parts retailer, we had access to address, names, CC #'s, everything we'd need to buy what we wanted and never look back. Of course, I never did that and would never do that.

Which is why I trust very few vendors. I stopped using Walmart.com only because they screwed up my order . Now I only use Amazon.

KingBowser

Ready to race!
I can understand your apprehension, but a few things to make you feel better.

1 - If your PP info was stolen, it was most likely because someone was tracking your computer, you stayed logged in somewhere, of you had a malware program on your computer that you weren't aware of. Or Your PP password was the same as some other password. Etc Etc, there are a number of things it could be other than PP

Honestly, I've been using PP exclusively to take payments for the business I run (for 7 years), I've never had any of our information compromised, nor have any of my clients.

2 - Paypal asks for the information because it is considered a Bank Account according to US institutions. They need to to verify your identity. Their webpages are secure insomuch that your computer is secure.

3 - Credit Cards are THE MOST SECURE form of payment available other than Paypal (debit cards are the LEAST SECURE). Our company used to accept credit cards, however the security protocols that are required are pretty ex-tenuous (and pricey, so we stopped and only accept PP.) Because of that, CC companies offer full refunds for any manner of fraud. So I wouldn't worry about any of that. I buy pretty much everything online with CC's.

Basically, if anything happens your covered with both PP and CC's. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
One other thing I do whenever possible is to use virtual account numbers.

The numbers can be limited to an amount I specify, and are valid for a single transaction. If the information is stolen it is no big deal, plus the card issuer can tell exactly where it was stolen (the first merchant who charged against the virtual account number).

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
If I remember correctly, I never had to input anything other than basic info into my PP. Granted, I set it up a long time ago and only use it when I make purchases on Ebay or other vendors that only take PP, and even then my CC is attached to it.