GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parrot RK8200 - integrated bluetooth stereo

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
Is anyone considering this as an alternative to separate iPod and bluetooth telephony systems?

Looks too good to be true...

I guess one of the downsides is that its a single DIN, what would you fill the extra space up with?

in case you don't know what the hell I'm talking about:

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/car-stereos/parrot-rk8200

Last edited:

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
I asked:

I’m very interested in the Parrot RK8200 but I have a few technical / installation questions.
  1. Will this head unit integrate with the Golf GTI MkV steering wheel controls?
  2. Is the unit a standard single DIN size (meaning I will need to get an adaptor to fit it into my double Din gap in the dashboard)
  3. Do you know of any other issues associated with installation in a VW Golf GTI MkV?
  4. How well would this unit work with the new 3G iPhone?
    [*]If it was plugged in as an iPod would the telephony functions still work?
    [*]I understand the bluetooth and contact database on iPhones isn’t very functional with in-car kits, have you heard of serious issues before?​

and they replied:

Hi James,

Currently there isn’t steering wheel controls adaptors available for the RK8200 but we have included a plug on the back of the unit so it is a feature that is being developed for the future.

The RK8200 is single din size so you are correct in your assumption that you will need a facia adaptor.

Also on the MK5 VW Golf there is not a 12v ignition supply for the radio as the cars computer tells the original radio when to switch off, so you would need to source a suitable ignition supply from elsewhere in the car i.e the cigar lighter or the fuse box

The Apple iphone 3g is not available and as a result has not yet been tested with our products so I cannot confirm compatibility. Once testing has been carried out and compatibility confirmed then the information will be listed on our website.

Kind regards

Carl Bridgwood
Technical & User Support Officer

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
I really hope they get the steering wheel controls sorted out quick. The more I think about this unit the more I want it.

Today I was quoted DHS 2000 (about $540!!! WTF??) for the VW iPod adaptor lead from the dealership - this head unit only costs another $60 and would give me bluetooth phone as well.

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
These are shipping in the UK now... anyone seen one, bought one, or know someone that has seen or bought one?

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI SE
If they made a steering wheel control kit for their 3000 BT kit, maybe they're coming out with something similar for their own radio?

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
If they made a steering wheel control kit for their 3000 BT kit, maybe they're coming out with something similar for their own radio?

I asked and they said it was on their 'to do' list. But they couldn't give me an idea of when it would be ready.