GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0734 - "Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio" Issue on 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit

ksauce

Car(s)
2008 Volkswagen Rabb
I have a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit (automatic transmission), and recently the gear shifting on the car would over-rev and not shift up to the next gear properly, and end up just staying in the same gear without accelerating properly. I would then have to pull over, turn off the engine, wait, and then turn it on before I can drive it again decently, though the issue would more or less still persist. The check engine came on recently as well.

At first I thought this was happening because I hadn't check the engine oil levels, and then when filling it up again I accidentally put too much oil. However, I took the car to an Autozone, and they ran the diagnostic on the car computer and that's where the P0734 - "Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio" code came up.

I took it to a transmission repair shop and the guy told me the solenoids and clutches were all done/worn out, but he was pretty broad/vague and didn't give much detail beyond that. I wanted to get people's advice here on the best way to fix/resolve this sort of thing, and what sort of work would need to be done. Thank you!