GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0087 Low Fuel Pressure Troubleshooting - VCDS Logs included

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Hey guys, right now I am kind of stumped but I feel that I am getting close to finally sorting this out and I just wanted to see if we have any gurus still on the forum that would be able to make sense of this fueling issue.

To start let me summarize the situation.

About 2 years and 30,000 miles ago I got an upgraded fuel pump (HPFP Upgrade brand) off the forums here used, and went APR stage 2+. After about 800 miles I started getting a P2293 Code (Rosstech says N726 fuel pressure regulator related). I changed the fuel filter, which didn't help. Since the code was only showing up every so often I decided to forget about it because it was the only code, and I had no performance issues whatsoever. I have always kept my cam follower up to date and my car is a 2008 FSI with a Rev B camshaft, so that is not the problem.

Fast forward to now, I have some money to spend on fixing up the car and I have decided to keep the car as long as it is running well (currently 83,000 miles), and I want this pesky code to F*%k off :paddle: I hadn't scanned the car in a while, but the CEL has been showing up with increased frequency. Over the past few months when scanning with VCDS I have come to find out that I no longer throw the P2293 code, now it is only the P0087 code (Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low). What is unique about this, as far as I can tell from reading everything I can find, is that the frequency for which I throw this code is much greater that other occurances. For example, when I haven't scanned for a day or two, when I go to scan it says the code has been thrown around 30 times. Almost like this code is thrown every time I start the car. Most people get this code at high RPMs.

I still suffer no drivability issues, which almost makes solving this thing worse because it feels like im chasing a ghost.

OK, so what have I tried to fix it:

I replaced the fuel pressure sensor on the HPFP, this did not solve it. I have noticed that my low pressure fuel pump has been whining more than usual. For the past month or so I have been able to hear it while idling. It makes somewhat of an oscillating whirring noise. This led me to believe I should replace the LPFP and controller. I did the controller first, no help. Just last weekend I replaced the LPFP and ran the VCDS adaptation, guess what... still no help. In fact this new pump is LOUDER than the old one. Sounds like an electric tooth brush turning on when I open the drivers side door. As far as I can tell it is supplying enough fuel, but it does do this weird thing where it won't turn off for a few mins after I shut the car off (continually buzzing when the key is out). I still get the same code and occurrence, so this leads me to believe the issue is not the LPFP.

So basically this has narrowed it down to a few things -
-Upgraded HPFP is faulty. I kind of doubt it because car drives great, no cuts. However, I did get the P2293 when I first put this on, but that code seems to have gone away.
-Fuel filter needs replaced again. I have been driving the current fuel filter for 30k.
-High Thrust sensor needs to be replaced, which is the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail.

I am totally new to VCDS logging so I'm not really sure what I am doing, but when I got home today I decided to log group 103 (related to fuel pressure) when starting the car up because I have a hunch this is when I am throwing the code. I have supplied a link to the excel file of the log with notes in the margin, and highlighted values that stand out to me. What I am seeing essentially is that the fuel regulation value is dropping by a lot about 10-30 seconds after start up, and this is then causing the LPFP to compensate for the dropping pressure by boosting the BAR pressure all of a sudden. I have no idea if this is normal behavior, possibly an adaptation of sorts, or if this means sometime more insidious. I will tell you that I did not notice the old LFFP doing this, but it could have been because it was so much quieter. I am 75% sure this is when the code is being thrown, because I cleared the code and then started and stopped the car a few times to do this log, and the code came back on.

I really hope someone has the interest and time to take a look at this. Think of it as holding on to the last piece of a jigsaw puzzle, and you are about to walk up and press it into place :lol: ... However it might not be that easy and I applaud you for your efforts in solving this riddle. I am open to any and all suggestions.

VCDS Excel File - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6uIwVFRn3TBaGFES0h6Ri1DdDQ/view?usp=sharing

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Bump, anyone know if there is something else I should be logging that would give me more useful information? I have read about logging the "duty cycle" of the pump, but im not sure how to do it.

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Replacing the fuel filter did not help. Next will be to replace the LPFP again since the new one sounds like it is failing, and then the HPFP. Luckily I have a stock HPFP lying around.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I would look at the high fuel pressure logs for brief periodic drops when at max specified pressures and at high rpm's that would suggest a faulty fprv on the rail...if you do not see that and instead see actual not routinely meeting specified...I would replace the hpfp and the upgraded internals. The hpfp because your problem may be the internal fuel pressure attenuator and/or needle valve inside the hpfp allowing too much fuel to escape the rail during the return stroke. http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_334_d1.pdf

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
would logging those blocks show if I needed to replace the n249 fuel pressure sensor thats on the fuel rail?

Replacing the sensor would be the first thing I would do if I had a fault for it. But logging those blocks would show what physically is going on.

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
I would look at the high fuel pressure logs for brief periodic drops when at max specified pressures and at high rpm's that would suggest a faulty fprv on the rail...if you do not see that and instead see actual not routinely meeting specified...I would replace the hpfp and the upgraded internals. The hpfp because your problem may be the internal fuel pressure attenuator and/or needle valve inside the hpfp allowing too much fuel to escape the rail during the return stroke. http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_334_d1.pdf

Thanks of the info, I run some some logs this weekend when I have some time and will report back with what I find.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I thought OP wrote that they have replaced the high pressure sensor already...and a faulty sensor would've shown poor readings in a log. Since he has a new sensor...problem likely will be with the production of high pressure, or loss of high pressure, at this point, yes?

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
I thought OP wrote that they have replaced the high pressure sensor already...and a faulty sensor would've shown poor readings in a log. Since he has a new sensor...problem likely will be with the production of high pressure, or loss of high pressure, at this point, yes?

I have replaced the sensor on the HPFP, but not the one on the rail.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
OK..on the hpfp...the N276 is a regulating valve, not a sensor. The G247 high pressure sensor is on the rail. Your original post says sensor...so, why I got confused.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yep...I got that, thinking on it later, that it was the low pressure sensor mounted on the hpfp you had replaced. Where you at with the diagnosis right now? If you have a new G410, proper filter(you did check there is the "6.6 BAR" regulation stamped onto the filter, yes?), and new lpfp w/controller...I could only guess that there is a new restriction somewhere in the low pressure line or the hpfp is pulling more fuel than it should, or not returning fuel to the low side properly, leaving the low pressure section to believe it is low and then warning because of that. If not a restriction...would likely be an improperly functioning hpfp.

Last edited:

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Traffic is crazy where I live and I am not close to the freeway, so I haven't time to run any logs.

I will be attempting to replace the G247 high pressure fuel sensor on the fuel rail today. It is in a tight spot and not yet sure if I have the tools for it.

I did not see 6.6 bar on the filter itself, but I didn't look for it. It is this one, which should be 6.6 bar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UZMUQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tedted

Replacing the sensor would be the first thing I would do if I had a fault for it. But logging those blocks would show what physically is going on.

I had my n249 sensor replaced and i went from a p2177 code to a p0191 code. The sensor is the most recent revised unit 06J906051C. If logging the the fuel actual/requested, what numbers should I be looking for that are in the normal range?