GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OT: looking for a new digital SLR, which one??

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
Thanks for all the good advice guys, at this stage i think Im leaning towards the Canon 400D with the twin lens

Mark, Would be keen to know whos going to do me a good deal mate

seeing as Canon is quite a popular brand you can pick them up almost anywhere.. your local Harvey Norman would have the 400D and they will be most likely to have a bunch of 350Ds that they will be keen to get rid of.
my self, my family and my dad's office have gotten all gotten their cameras and equipment from Plaza Cameras in the Plaza Arcade in the city. im not sure how they are with prices but the people there are really friendly and because theyre all professional photographers they really know what theyre talking about unlike the dopey teenage guy at Harvey Norman whos just reading off the box. they also offer a really good digital print shop and run photography classes and can do servicing and maintenance on your equipment. i cant recommend them any more

if you want the cheapest price possible then theirs always ebay...

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Just be aware if you buy off eBay that Canon bodies purchased from OS will not have Australian warranty cover (not sure about Nikon).

blue2th

Ready to race!
i believe the Camera House deal has an attractive price on the 40D as well. i picked up a brochure last week...can't remember the price exactly but within the <$2k price range. They had the Sony alpha on a good deal too.

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI
Digital Camera Warehouse - $1149 for the twin lens kit.

$1079 at http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/store/index.asp

Having 15 years of Minolta gear meant changing over wasn't really a good idea - also Minolta/Sony have built in image stabilisation - no special (i.e. mega costly) lenses required. Testing on the new A700 has seen improvements of F3-F4 - better than any lens IS system.

But if starting from scratch ... it'd be the Canon or Nikon. And get the better lens (i.e. maybe only one) over the twin lens kits.

Don't forget you'll want a 4-8Gb card and other accessories as well - all adds up.

- M -

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Camera Farm - $1147.00 for the Twin Lens Kit (+$25 insured delivery, seeing as your not in Sydney to do pick up)

Bought my video camera with them and was very happy. They sell actual Australian models, which are fully covered by the manufacturers warranty. :thumbsup:

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI

REDMKVGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Canon 400D for sure. Be careful where you buy it from, I got great pleasure in passing on message that they (a major camera company) would not repair a camera due to it's origin today (LCD's are not cheap to replace either).

So glad to see the companies cracking down on grey imports. If you want to buy a cheaper grey import, thats all good, your choice. Just do not expect retailers in Australia to help you out when it goes wrong (like so many people seem to think their entitled to).

On a side note I've been testing out some other lenses today as well, (the Tamron 18-250 and one other) which so far seem okay, but not quite up the the standard I have come to like through using my L glass.

GT 12 WA

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTi, 2005 STI
I bought my 350D from Camera House in Fremantle as they had the best deal at the time. Shop around and ask for extras such as memory card, bag etc in the deal.

Minor point but note you can also get Canon gear repaired in Perth whereas Nikon has to be sent over East.

jb747

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got a Nikon D70 that I've had for about 3.5 years. It's been dragged through the outback, covered in dust, and generally worked pretty hard. It's still happily churning out pictures.

I'm going to replace it in the new year with a D300. Not cheap, but I'll forget how much it cost.....

XHonda

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the Rebel Xt (350D here I think) and am very satisfied, have an original EOS 650 film as well. In any event, do some searching, ie http://www.dpreview.com/
and pricing from J & R and B&H Photo, both in NY, esp with the exchange rate now.

My sister has Nikon and you wont be unhappy with either.

upe_642

stupid MkV driver
Car(s)
audi TT, golf mk5
i had nikon d100 and nikon d1x..bought them very looong time ago and still like them..

recently my friend has just bought nikon d200..and he's very satisfied..
many improvement compared to my d100..

other friend bought a d40x..he wasn't happy with the quality (very light, feel cheap and no autofocus he said) and bought another d80..
he satisfied with the d80..

not sure about their price though...but i like nikon..

blur32

Ready to race!
I sell 'em all guys & girls, right up to Nikon D2's & Canon 1D's......

Nikon, Canon, Sony & Olympus. IMHO:

* Olympus E410/E510 great for 1st timers 4/3's digital specific lenses, good pricing

* Nikon D40x an awesome camera sub $1500.....buy if you have any lenses at home or portrait/landscape shooting the most

* Canon 400D agreat "sport/action" camera, if this is your main use, buy it sub $1500...or if you have existing lenses

* Sony Alpha's nice, but an ergonomic nightmare, cumbersome. Takes a damn fine image tho'. Buy if you have existing Minolta lenses (bought out, re-badged and tarted up)

* Best buy on the market (IMO) is the 40D....great all rounder, reasonable price, very well featured, yet the uninitiated can stillo pick it up and go