GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OT: Audio

Pharkus

Ninja
Thought I should start this thread as it was sort of hijacking Terrence's thread on his wheel project. I've given up on wheels at this stage, reckon that I would rather do suspension first, but given that the stockies are doing alright at the moment there's no need to go down that path.

I've previously had a professional install my old Astra Sri (JL Amp, 10" sub and MB Quart front splits running off a JVC head unit). This was on a uni/first job budget so the components weren't the best money could buy but still a massive improvement on the car audio from stock.

Now cars are not designed to be accoustically great (safely, running gear etc. take precendence) and the cost let alone the time involved in an installation, I'd rather spend my hard earned on other audio gear.

I've got a pair of Audio Technica AD900's at home for listening to music. As I am no longer getting wheels, I've had a look at some JH Audio 13 Pro's. These are 6 driver in ear headphones that are custom moulded to your ear. They're only $1,100 US (not including audiologist appointment time and moulding or shipping of moulds). Probably a bit of overkill using them with an iphone for the daily commute but I love the way you can customise further by way of color choices for the earbuds and designs to put on them.

I think that after I get these I'll have to invest in a proper dedicated headphone amplifier. If anyone has had good experiences with any I'd like to hear about it.

Also the next project will be to upgrade my home theatre speakers to go with the B&W PV1 I just got.

BTW if you want to test out bass, the air strike on Transformers 2 on blu-ray is awesome!

chaddy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hey Pharkus,

Not sure about those IEM's as I haven't kept up with it but they sound quite expensive.. My ears aren't suited to IEM's unfortunately, but in the past tried the Westone UM2's, Shure E4's and IE 5 Pro's and they were all good for $300-$400 mark.

If you haven't joined up at headphones.com.au I recommend it as there is a lot of good advice on there regarding gear selection and good bunch of people as well.

I had some AD900's and they are great detailed headphones, thought they could use a tad more bass but depends what styles you listen to.

The Talisman T-3H is highly recommended as far as amps go but there are obviously others. That's the one i would probably go for but doesn't seem to be on their products page for some reason.

Although not sure either of those headphones will really benefit greatly from an amp as they are low impedence (easy to drive) and don't exactly need the power, but everything helps.

Pharkus

Ninja
Hey Pharkus,

Not sure about those IEM's as I haven't kept up with it but they sound quite expensive.. My ears aren't suited to IEM's unfortunately, but in the past tried the Westone UM2's, Shure E4's and IE 5 Pro's and they were all good for $300-$400 mark.

If you haven't joined up at headphones.com.au I recommend it as there is a lot of good advice on there regarding gear selection and good bunch of people as well.

I had some AD900's and they are great detailed headphones, thought they could use a tad more bass but depends what styles you listen to.

The Talisman T-3H is highly recommended as far as amps go but there are obviously others. That's the one i would probably go for but doesn't seem to be on their products page for some reason.

Although not sure either of those headphones will really benefit greatly from an amp as they are low impedence (easy to drive) and don't exactly need the power, but everything helps.

Westones, UE are the two that I knew of before stumbling upon JH Audio from reading a tech/gadget blog. Here's an except from a review of the JH 13 Pro's on who Jerry Harvey is:

"Jerry Harvey has been building custom in-ear monitor headphones for rock bands since 1995. He counts the Rolling Stones, Creed, The Cult, Aerosmith, Foreigner, and Linkin Park as customers. He founded Ultimate Ears in 1997 and designed all of its headphones to 2007."

The JH Pro 13's have 2 more drivers (2 bass, 2 mid, 2 treble) than the UE11's (2 bass, 1 mid, 1 treble). But are $100US cheaper.

I'd probably be ok with a lower spec IEM but hey balls in or nothing hey?

With regards to the AD900's I probably should have stuck out for something with a bit more bass and totally agree that it's lacking in that department, even when driven from my home theatre amp. Though they are still an awesome headphone for vocals. But in the end IEM's > AD900 for carting about on public transport, plus they are an open ear design.

IEM queries are being sent out today (fitting, shipping etc), after I receive them I'll then audition them with a shortlist of potential headphone amps:happyanim:

IEM's @$1,400 AUD (use 5 days a week) > BBS rims @$2,500 AUD (used 2 times a week)

@Chaddy - I do like the B&W's but with a sub I suppose there isn't as much need to match it with something from a like company. Was looking at Monitor Audio Platinum series as they have been getting very good reviews recently, but the ultimate test will be to audition everything. However, not spending much on this anytime soon as the rate of blu-ray releases is dissappointing and I'm not about to replace my DVD collection. Hometheatre is a back burner project at the moment :wink:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Haha that's always possible.

I'm planning on eventually getting the Alessandro MS-pro's for my home setup, they are as good as you'd ever need. Was just saying that portables may not last as long depending on how you look after them, but those sound like pretty high end.

Pharkus

Ninja
Haha that's always possible.

I'm planning on eventually getting the Alessandro MS-pro's for my home setup, they are as good as you'd ever need. Was just saying that portables may not last as long depending on how you look after them, but those sound like pretty high end.

I'm pretty pedantic about how I treat my gear so they will be well looked after. My wife was giving me crap because they are really Monitor level IEM's designed for performing artists. I'm guessing that at the "moderate" volume at which I will be listening to them at they should have a long lifespam.

Good choice on the Alessandro's, I believe they are very similar to the Grado's. I'll try to justify a pair of those later as well, if I can convince the other half my AD900's have been superceded =)

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty pedantic about how I treat my gear so they will be well looked after. My wife was giving me crap because they are really Monitor level IEM's designed for performing artists. I'm guessing that at the "moderate" volume at which I will be listening to them at they should have a long lifespam.

Good choice on the Alessandro's, I believe they are very similar to the Grado's. I'll try to justify a pair of those later as well, if I can convince the other half my AD900's have been superceded =)

Yeah no reason why stuff can't last you a long time if you look after it. It's mostly things like the cables that break or wear out but can be recabled anyway.

Don't know heaps about the Grados but apparently the Alessandros are a bit nicer sound (beside the MS-2 which is pretty harsh/in your face) but the US guys seem to like upfront sound. I'm still impressed by these MS-1's that i use at work, pretty good for $150.

Pharkus

Ninja
Yeah no reason why stuff can't last you a long time if you look after it. It's mostly things like the cables that break or wear out but can be recabled anyway.

Don't know heaps about the Grados but apparently the Alessandros are a bit nicer sound (beside the MS-2 which is pretty harsh/in your face) but the US guys seem to like upfront sound. I'm still impressed by these MS-1's that i use at work, pretty good for $150.

Wish that I could justify that I need headphones for work purposes, be a good discount right there by claiming the tax deduction for them.

Which reminds me that Audi sent me an e-mail about the business tax break on new assets. Apparently maximum claim of $8,557 from business tax break plus an additional amount up to $8,577 total potential saving of $17,154....if only I could justify a motor vehicle as required for income producing activities...=( (would be a brand new S3 right there)