GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ordering a replacement BorgWarner K04 from FCP Euro....

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes, time to replace the K04. Exhaust is too smelly and the puffs of smoke are becoming a bit embarrassing in stop-n-go traffic. Found a deal at FCP Euro with lifetime warranty. So I thought I would just post this for any comments on FCP and your personal past dealings with them, just so I have some awareness.

Last edited:

Saki Ashraf

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m sure you’ve considered rebuilding your K04. Bearing kit and rotor balance are fairly cheap.

I’ve had good luck ordering parts from FCP - never had to use the lifetime warranty so can’t comment on that.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes, I have considered rebuilding it. But not knowing the condition of the internal waste-gate (seemingly OK as it boosts, and is only leaking enough oil into the exhaust to make it stink) ...and the one I would have do the rebuild (Comp Turbo Tech inc) only wanting the turbo sent, I decided to just wait and inspect the old K04 once removed. They quoted me $425usd. If I discover mine is in good shape other than the leaky bearing...I may send it off for the rebuild. Then hang on to it or sell it later.

I ordered the genuine BorgWarner from FCP yesterday at $1150usd. Best deal I could find on one that is not a K04 clone or rebuild.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
The BW-K04 arrived today...and though it isn't an FCP issue, BW hose clamps on the tubes going to the WGA and turbo inlet were quite loose allowing those two hoses to spin easily. I pinched the clamps more but still the hoses were loose. So I cut and removed those two clamps and added a size smaller single-ear clamp to each of the two and that did the trick. I wasn't concerned much about the one returning to the turbo inlet as I was over the one connected to the WGA.

Last edited:

Stealthparade

Car(s)
MKV GTI
I live about 30 minutes away from fcp, have gone to quite a few of their car show and know or knew quite a few people that have worked there. They are a pretty great company. Their lifetime warranty is lifetime even the fluids they sell. only caveat is if you don't want your car to be down for a few days you will have to front the cost of the new part and then return your old ones. they have even put items on the website for me that were not previously there so that i could order through them(BC racing coilovers for the mkv).

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Got the turbo installed and finished today. No exhaust smoke. It still has a foul odor, but hoping it is from the residual oil in the intercoolers. I didn't swap my Forge WG actuator from the old K04 onto the new and it only boosts to 20 psi, when it was easily making 24 psi with little preload with the Forge. So first, I am going to do a bit of necessary hose trimming (just some nagging fitment issues I never dealt with) and replace all hose clamps. Then see what the data is showing for specified and actual boost. Then, if needed, I will add a bit of preload to the factory WG actuator and hope it can then make target boost. Before installing it, I checked the preload and there were four turns of the WGA rod's adjusting nut. Will not be pleased if I need to swap the new WG actuator for the Forge for the factory WGA having a weak spring.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Last time I posted no exhaust smoke...but today there was. Still is no longer making smoke when I get back on the throttle, but when lightly leaving from a stop at a green light this morning it puffed one out. And the exhaust still smells bad. It seems the turbo smoke was masking another issue. So it may have one or two more reasons for it smelling bad and is still puffing out a bit of smoke for another reason. Still need to try draining oil from the inter-coolers left by the old turbo, but it may be in need of a short block. Left me bummed today.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
So I've yet to determine what would be safe for the silicone boost hoses when I flush out the oil. I hoped to pour a fluid into the throttle-body pipe at the noise pipe connection__jack the car from side to side__then disconnect the fmic inlet hose at the turbo outlet pipe to drain it. As of now I think I will use denatured alcohol. But I will first test the alcohol on a small 2mm silicone hose to be sure it won't be damaged.

This morning I stopped at a well known VW parts/exhaust supplier. BTW, didn't see any smoke this morning. They told me they bought a new crate engine a long time ago and took it completely apart. It is still there but scattered about their shop. The block and crank needs to be located. Once found, they will build it up for me using Supertech H-beam rods and new forged pistons. I will just hang on to it until needed.

Last edited: