GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

old ebay dp + new magnaflow cat, P2196?

I'm gonna start by apologizing for not having autoscan data. I think for some reason my VCDS cable is in my house or in my land cruiser. I can't find it in my car. I'll be ever so pissed if i lost it.

I'll try and find my hex+can when i get home.

When i bought my car it already had a catless ebay DP on it. Looked like it had a lot of miles - front hanger was rusted through and the vband joints had been welded together.

The rear o2 sensor is on an angled spacer and very occasionally if I've been spending a lot of time at WOT it would throw rich mixture, then bank 2 o2 sensor too slow and bank 2 o2 sensor internal resistance too high. My surmise was that due to my GIAC tune and terrible BSH cone air filter it was in fact running a little rich at WOT and the computer was merely confused at why the rear o2 sensor had not gotten a lot hotter right at the same time the front o2 sensor noticed the mixture was rich (because a rich mixture causes the catalytic converter to get hotter).

It usually didn't even turn on the light.

I need a cat to pass visual in my county so i bought the same magnaflow unit that 42DD puts on their mk5 downpipes.

Had it welded into the DP at a local VW-friendly and tuning-friendly shop, by a guy i personally know who works there. He left the o2 spacer in place.

Today on the way to work the CEL came on. I'd spent 5 minutes looking for my hex+can this morning because a friend needs some coding after work and i couldn't find it. So i dug around in the center console for my cheezy bluetooth obd2 and used that.

P2196 is all it can tell me.

According to search, this can be caused by an exhaust leak.

Are the chances good that maybe when the new cat was going in something got cracked, or perhaps i need a new gasket between dp and turbo?

Or is there a chance that my rear o2 sensor solution needs to change now that i have a catalyst? I'm not certain that i can run w/o the spacer with this cat. Long term anyway. I'm sure i can take it off and force readiness to pass inspection.

*Shrug* I assume it was reconnected. I will have to check for myself. The catalyst got welded in about 600 miles ago so I would figure it would have thrown some codes earlier.

alerxovawo

Ready to race!
Check that front O2. When I had my DP installed, they wrenched on the wrong part of the O2 sensor and pretty much destroyed it, giving me the same code you have. I replaced the O2 sensor and haven't seen a code since.

Just did a little lunch hour exploratory surgery. Pulled intake and saw that the jacket on the sensor harness had been rubbing against the back edge of my heat shield. Had worn through the outer jacket so maybe it had worn through the insulation on a wire too.

Took off my heat shield, reassembled without it, and 'cleared' the light via obd2. Hope it doesn't come back.

The guy who did the exhaust work knows his shit and i trust him. But leaks can happen on shitty ebay pipes.

. :Sent by pneumatic tubes