GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Leaking from turbo area of engine

Hamad990

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTi
Hello, I noticed that my FSI engine was leaking oil from the noise pipe, which I fixed and thought that it would be the end of the problem. But the next day I come to drive the car, and as I reverse I see more oil that wasn't there the day before, so I go under the car and notice that the turbo, oil pan, and other stuff covered in oil. Some of this was from the noise pipe so I clean it up, but 2 days later, after ive driven the car I take a look under, and its that same thing, the right side of the engine's underside is covered in oil. I know that its not my noise pipe or my valve cover gasket since ive recently worked on them, plus there's no oil when I look under the hood, its only when I'm under the car. Most of the oil is on/covering the turbo, and there's some on other parts of the engine. This leads me to think that either the turbo itself is causing this, or its a leak above it that happens to drip most of the oil on the turbo. Does anyone know of some common things to look for, or can point me to another thread/website to help me figure this out?

If it helps, quite a bit of oil leaked out when I replaced my diverter valve, not sure if that's something normal or not.

Thanks!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You should only have a light coating/residue...something is wrong and my guess would be the rocker cover and seal need replacing. The rocker/valve cover because it is likely damaged inside and the seal because it is likely leaking. I have a vid to show why the inside of the valve cover may be damaged. If the inner plate becomes detached...oil can enter the recyle ports for the PCV to turbo inlet;

If you find there's no damage...you can hang on to the new cover for later, but you can go ahead and replace its seal. Really though, I wouldn't proceed until I followed the oil to its highest point to discover where the leak originates.

Hamad990

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTi
ROH ECHT Just to make sure, by seal you mean the gasket right? If so then I already replaced that around 100 kms ago when I was doing some other work on the car. But I’ll take a look at the video, then take a look at the cover tomorrow to see if I can find anything wrong

Hamad990

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTi
ROH ECHT So the valve cover is definitely letting in oil, and I've noticed that the silver breather hose on the back is only heard on with tiptoes which is what's causing the leaking. So I'll need a new Valve cover, and I was wondering what option should I go with. I could either go with the OEM cover and then buy a catch can kit from cts, or I could go with a CTS Valve cover, and then get a custom catch can set up. Both valve covers are the same price, but the difference comes in the design, and the catch can set up. I don't actually know what is needed for the custom set up since I haven't really looked into it yet but I'd assume that it'll cost roughly the same as the cts catch can for the OEM valve cover. So do you think its worth it to stick with the OEM option, or go with the CTS option that'll get rid of a bunch of annoying stuff, but will force me to use a catch can even in the winter (Winter in Winnipeg can reach -40º C).
I've been reading about catch cans in the winter and most people were ok with it but just mentioned that they needed some more attention when it gets cold, which I don't mind, but im not sure if its a good idea to be stuck with just a catch can regardless of the season.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
ROH ECHT Just to make sure, by seal you mean the gasket right? If so then I already replaced that around 100 kms ago when I was doing some other work on the car. But I’ll take a look at the video, then take a look at the cover tomorrow to see if I can find anything wrong
Right; seal=gasket. You may want to check the torque then
torq.png
:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
ROH ECHT So the valve cover is definitely letting in oil, and I've noticed that the silver breather hose on the back is only heard on with tiptoes which is what's causing the leaking. So I'll need a new Valve cover, and I was wondering what option should I go with. I could either go with the OEM cover and then buy a catch can kit from cts, or I could go with a CTS Valve cover, and then get a custom catch can set up. Both valve covers are the same price, but the difference comes in the design, and the catch can set up. I don't actually know what is needed for the custom set up since I haven't really looked into it yet but I'd assume that it'll cost roughly the same as the cts catch can for the OEM valve cover. So do you think its worth it to stick with the OEM option, or go with the CTS option that'll get rid of a bunch of annoying stuff, but will force me to use a catch can even in the winter (Winter in Winnipeg can reach -40º C).
I've been reading about catch cans in the winter and most people were ok with it but just mentioned that they needed some more attention when it gets cold, which I don't mind, but im not sure if its a good idea to be stuck with just a catch can regardless of the season.
Seems like it needs a new rear breather tube gasket as well...these are one use-crush style.
https://www.urotuning.com/products/...KbPnW8HDgOuAgLApLPv7zbOEMOpioP5xoCExYQAvD_BwE

There could also be a need for a new PCV.

The CTS or IE rocker/valve cover will require a catch can of course...you could go with a VTA CC.
And yes, they require more attention when cold as the CC mostly catches moisture. So when cold there is more.

What is needed is to reroute the EVAP ( https://performancebyie.com/products/20t-fsi-ie-valve-cover-crossover-tube-relocation ) which also goes through the OEM cover from one side to the other. Then decide if you'll recycle or vent crankcase vapors.
If you do a VentToAtmosphere(VTA) CC, you'll need a rear tube block-off; https://performancebyie.com/collect...ucts/ie-breather-blockoff-vw-audi-20t-fsi-tsi

If you want to recycle the crankcase vapors, you'll want their recycle catch can kit; https://performancebyie.com/product...t-vw-audi-20t-fsi?_pos=2&_sid=03a469ca5&_ss=r

Hamad990

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTi
ROH ECHT Everything was torqued according to the Bentley manual, but it turned out to be leaking from the rear breather tube, from the top and maybe the bottom (there was a lot of wetness in that area but it may just be the oil from the top making its way down there). The breather tube was held onto the rubber piece that connects the valve head to the breather tube by zip-ties, and I don't know why it never crossed my mind that this would cause it to leak.

As for the valve cover, I think ill stick with the OEM style one for now, just cause I don't want to shell out that much to get a setup that'll force me to use a CC, plus money is tight these days so probably just better to go the cheaper way for now.

Also, on a side note, my PVC actually did need replacing, and im taking care of that issue, but I was wondering how would that cause/contribute to an oil leak

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
1) The breather tube was held onto the rubber piece that connects the valve head to the breather tube by tiptoes, and I don't know why it never crossed my mind that this would cause it to leak.

2) ...my PVC actually did need replacing, and im taking care of that issue, but I was wondering how would that cause/contribute to an oil leak

1) Yes, not clamped would cause it to leak. It's good you are fixing it. Afterward, clean the area (brake cleaner is safe on plastics and rubber) and check the area again later for more oil leaks are present.

2) If the pcv is not venting/working properly to relieve crankcase pressure...the pressure within forces oil out of seals and rings in/on the engine or to the turbo. But if the only oil is from the zip-ties on the breather tube, it wouldn't cause it there. That leak would only be due to the poor seal.

Hamad990

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTi
ROH ECHT Finally managed to replace the valve cover and breather tube gasket and managed to stop the leak. I also used hose clamps to replace the zip-ties, is that a suitable option? I like the fact that they're a lot more practical than those stupid VW clamps that are so hard to move around.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Standard hose clamps work...I have them on mine. I am planning to buy a single-ear clamp kit...but until then I use the old "go to" style as well.