GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oil leak....usual suspects?

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Hey everyone....I have a 09 GTI TSI motor with 89k on the clock. I noticed about a month ago I was having small drops of oil on the passenger side, over the last 3-4 days it has gotten significantly worse but the oil that ends up on the ground is more towards the center vs the normal spot of being on the passenger side. looked around and there's oil all over, drops on the subframe bolts, drops on the bellhousing of the tranny, oil on the motor mount bracket, the left side is pretty much dry. I did not see a lot of moisture around the valve cover on the backside, did see some small pools on the top of the vc though...
I changed the chain tensioner last year used a new lower cover and I had no leaks after that, I evacuate my oil so I never touch the drain plug. it's difficult to get a good look at that side of the motor with so much crap in the way so I ordered a new upper timing cover it sounds like those are known culprits. I don't have a whole lot of experience with these motors this is the first GTI i have owned, is there anything else I should be looking at?
One thing to possibly note, I have owned the car for 2 years and this is the first winter I have driven it so it's seeing temps of below freezing now.
Sorry for the longwinded post....thanks in advance! 🍺

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So a Tsi you may want to confirm that your Pcv is functioning correctly and not pressurizing the engine and blowing seals.

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I forgot to include that in my original post, car came with a catchcan installed by the PO. My understanding is that provided the hoses are routed so there's not much opportunity for anything to pool up in cold weather they should be ok, mine are pretty much horizontal (as a sidenote I have attempted to drain the can several times and nothing comes out of it?). If something went sideways with this catchcan what seals would I have blown???
Thanks

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
update...after cleaning everything up it looks like i might have been leaking some oil at the dipstick (where it plugs into the pan) and it also appears the rear main seal took a dump....not sure if it failed from failing or if my catch can froze up and she blew.....

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
i got one of those on the way! sounds like dropping the transmission on these cars is a real treat.