GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil filler neck removal?

3In2Out

Ready to race!
I run without a engine cover, so the oil filler neck kind of sticks up from the head and looks goofy. Can the neck/extender be removed to just connect the oil cap to the head? I tried twisting it the other day, but no movement. Didnt want to mess with it too much in case its actually a molded part of the valve cover or something.

mk420v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘23 R, ‘19 124
Yup, just keep at it. FYI, when i did it i really thought i was going to beak it, i pushed it a little bit more and it came off nice and clean...

1132fahr

Head Esplode
Car(s)
2000 GTI GLX
put a clean lint free towel in it with it open. and take channel locks big enough to fit around it. and just crack it loose. itll come right off.. mines been off for a while

dirtyd14

FAST!!!!!!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
put a clean lint free towel in it with it open. and take channel locks big enough to fit around it. and just crack it loose. itll come right off.. mines been off for a while

word!!! did the same, had it off since last winter!!

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
Yup, it's easy. Run the car for a little bit to warm everything up first. Be sure to stick a rag in the filler neck.

frank15032000

frank15032000
Car(s)
To houston alot
I run without a engine cover, so the oil filler neck kind of sticks up from the head and looks goofy. Can the neck/extender be removed to just connect the oil cap to the head? I tried twisting it the other day, but no movement. Didnt want to mess with it too much in case its actually a molded part of the valve cover or something.

LIKE this.... this is what i did on my car....

sloMk5

2007 GTI
I just did mine with my hands when it was warm.

Like others said make sure to put something in there to keep any pieces of the adhesive that might come loose from falling in. You might want to clean it up and remove anything left on the edge too before you take the rag or whatever out.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I just removed mine last night! I had my fuel pump off replacing my cam follower and I just looked at it and said screw it that neck is coming off.

I used some channel locks grip it and I reefed on it until the glue popped. Unfortunately I shattered the neck getting it off :frown:

streetdreams

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I just did this because the look was pissing me off. Now my bay looks clean and nothing sticks out like a sore thumb.

gecko80

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV
Heres my issue. Mine just came off one day and i got rid of it. Now it seems there is oil underneath the engine cover (plastic piece) Could this be due to that rubber piece missing? Or could it be something else? I dirve an 07!

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
I got an O-ring that fits perfectly around the cap. I have an 07 too, and it was leaking a small amount of oil vapors. But all is well now.