GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change Dilemma-Question(s)

joeblonewjersey

Ready to race!
I decided to consider to have the local Mobil 1 oil change place do an oil change for my ’16 GTI.

I’ve had the dealer do all the previous oil changes under the pre-purchased maintenance, and the last one was done in June this year, and the car is 3 years 6 months old with 20k miles, and I’ve had 4 oil changes since day one.

Even though the dealer says 10k oil changes are recommended, I don’t accept it and do otherwise.

I am anal about oil droplets, drippings in my driveway or on my garage floor. Been there, done that in the last 55 years of driving. I have zero issues with my car, and wish to keep it that way as long as possible.

So regardless of cost, my major issue is that the person sitting in my car, move the seat back, enter the car without rubbing his ass on the bolster because the seat I up close and once seated, move it up, then when exiting, put it back. My seats still look like new.

Also, no greasy hands, shoes, no poking around trying to sell me air filters, wipers, bulbs….just change the oil and filter, do a perfect job, thank you.

I “interviewed” the employee to decide if I could use the Mobil1 facility. He found my conditions amusing and smirked during my conveyance of requirement to decide if I would want the place to be considered for my oil change. He said, we’ll try. I said, not good enough, thank you. Oh, by the way, how much? Over $120 for this and that. I told him the local VW dealer did it for $59, he said he can’t beat that price.

BTW, I never had any issues with the local VW doing any oil changes, the did so impeccably. Well, maybe once they left the seat pulled up. :(

So, I can go back to the dealer, or……do I buy one of those oil extractors and do it myself? I’m not a fan of crawling under my jacked up car in the garage, been there, done that.

Point of this post: Any experiences that can be shared regarding the oil extractor, I see it’s manual pump, do that make one that is electric or automated? I do understand the filter is upright and certain precautions are to be made while removing it as well as any ‘O’ rings, etc.

Yes, I am a perfectionist, and I love my GTI.

The last of the 2-door PP LP that may never be made again (or brought to the US).

I’ll be dead in 10 years, so I want to not get stressed over any A-hole not respecting my requirements.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Get an extractor and suck it out.
This. It amazes me anyone would take one of these cars to any dealer or third party service center for an oil change, it's so easy I think I will teach my 13yo daughter to do my next one.

No crawling underneath required, and if you buy your M1 oil at the right time it's 10-12 bucks for 5qt after rebate and 20ish for a 3 pack of Mann oil filters. Extractor will pay for itself after 2 changes even if you assume the cheapest oil change place rates.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
This. It amazes me anyone would take one of these cars to any dealer or third party service center for an oil change, it's so easy I think I will teach my 13yo daughter to do my next one.

No crawling underneath required, and if you buy your M1 oil at the right time it's 10-12 bucks for 5qt after rebate and 20ish for a 3 pack of Mann oil filters. Extractor will pay for itself after 2 changes even if you assume the cheapest oil change place rates.
Ya i have used my extractor twice, both times did routine changes. It was a little odd when I had to siphon the oil to start it but worked great. Most likely saved money and time arguing with a loyal mechanic who I dont wanna pay 60$ to because they are gonna get their dirty oil hands on my shit and thats beneath me ya know

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Been using an extractor for a few years on this car now. It’s the easiest and cleanest oil change I have done. Highly suggested.

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
you would not like how an oil extractor cannot extract the last 1/5-1/4 quart of oil sitting at the bottom of the pan.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
From what I've seen...the amount of oil left in the pan is pretty negligible. I use an oil extractor too. About as easy as it gets.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

This... Get yourself an extractor. It's so easy, even a caveman can do it.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Really? Why?

This is why...they saw the endless complaints and issues coming from a mile away.

Honestly, who interviews a place to do their oil change? Like wtf, YTA, sorry but true. Shit takes 30 min tops and your playing 21 questions... they say some women are karens and like to speak to the manager, well ...