GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High oil consumption (1L/1K miles)

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Right...no longer are vapors drawn into the intale manifold when vacuum is present. It all now goes into the turbo inlet if the CC is recycling.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Right...no longer are vapors drawn into the intale manifold when vacuum is present. It all now goes into the turbo inlet if the CC is recycling.
Makes sense... I can at least discard that as an issue then...hopefully the valve cover replacement will take care of the oil burning issue...which is all that is left 🤞

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
A bunch of our engines, at the age they now are, are in need of valve stem seals. The seals only go so long before they become hardened and lose their full sealing capability.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
So I have another question for you, @ROH ECHT, maybe you can help me..

I have the Unitronic DV relocation kit, which uses a Y-shaped silicone adapter to connect the DV right before the TB, however, recently I decided to get the CTS TB pipe because I needed something with a port for water/meth, this pipe has another bung for noise pipe delete/DV relocate. As you could see in the pic below.
4CF5E425-8769-41D4-B146-21430BA0C3ED.jpeg

So my question to you is..is it okay to have both, TB hose and TB pipe with DV bungs? Would this affect performance?
I was thinking of getting rid of the Unitronic hose adapter and just getting a regular Forge TB hose, then move the DV to the TB pipe bung that is not being used. Would this be a good idea?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
It shouldn't make any difference, but it wouldn't sit well with me. I wouldn't have done it just for knowing the edges of one extra cavity the air is passing. But know, LOL, that I am a stickler for wierd things....even if they have no effect. On mine I trimmed all of the raised ends/beads from both ends of; the intake pipe__the turbo outlet pipe__and throttle body pipe. They all still seal and the transfer from hose to pipe and back again are smooth...at least in my mind it is better. See? Stickler.

You could switch the throttle body hose if you feel like repositioning the DV to the throttle-body pipe. But it's more work to make it look cleaner. Then you also need another hose from the DV to the turbo inlet.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
It shouldn't make any difference, but it wouldn't sit well with me. I wouldn't have done it just for knowing the edges of one extra cavity the air is passing. But know, LOL, that I am a stickler for wierd things....even if they have no effect. On mine I trimmed all of the raised ends/beads from both ends of; the intake pipe__the turbo outlet pipe__and throttle body pipe. They all still seal and the transfer from hose to pipe and back again are smooth...at least in my mind it is better. See? Stickler.

You could switch the throttle body hose if you feel like repositioning the DV to the throttle-body pipe. But it's more work to make it look cleaner. Then you also need another hose from the DV to the turbo inlet.

well..glad I’m not the only one who’s like that lol..yup, that’s also my main reason why I wanted to swap the tb hose..it bothers me to have that extra branch in there that’s not being used..I also read somewhere that it shouldn’t matter since it’s pressurized air passing through..it wouldn’t have any effect on performance..but still...it doesn’t sit well with me either to have that unnecessary extra branch for air to fill...guess I’m a stickler too 😂

anyways...I guess I’ll be getting another hose for the DV recirculation, a longer one that could reach further down, think Forge would be my best bet since their products are quality. Also a silicone coupler to attach the dv adapter to the pipe. I rather have that cleaner look even if it’s more work. 👍🏽

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yeah, it shouldn't affect it as is...it mostly affects the mind. LOL
My DV relocate is from AWE so the DV is back by the turbo inlet...and it repurposes the noise pipe.
I have a forge throttle-body hose...it's good quality.

But yeah...three hoses and a bit of work should tidy it up.

Last edited:

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Here’s the 1k miles after update:

Unfortunately, there’s still high oil consumption....so looks like the valve cover wasn’t the culprit after all since it’s still burning around 1L/1k miles.

so what’s next now? Valve guide seals maybe? Should I just go straight to doing a whole engine head rebuild?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
It is likely wear and tear on the valve seals, perhaps the guides, and possibly the rings. You could plan on doing only the valve stem seals. The valve stem to valve guide fit can be checked...but the head is removed so why not add new guides and have it cleaned and skimmed. Anyhow, all of what you do is your choice. I did all I could or should while mine was removed.

I will just say it...since it looks like I haven't before, you should lower the crankcase pressure. Go back to the OE PCV. By removing it, you've removed the addition of vacuum to the crankcase. The vacuum improves ring seal and reduces loss of oil. I don't think it will fix it as I still believe there are worn bits in there given the loss rate is 1L/1k miles.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
I will just say it...since it looks like I haven't before, you should lower the crankcase pressure. Go back to the OE PCV. By removing it, you've removed the addition of vacuum to the crankcase. The vacuum improves ring seal and reduces loss of oil. I don't think it will fix it as I still believe there are worn bits in there given the loss rate is 1L/1k miles.
Well the oil loss issue has been happening almost ever since I bought the car, not at the rate it is now though, it has gotten worse with the years...after I removed the PCV I didn’t notice any changes..other than the thing with noticing more oil inside the boost pipes, but taking out the PCV neither improved or worsened the oil consumption...at least not that I could notice.
the reason why I decided to remove the PCV and go with a baffled CC was because I was also having a different issue with the boost, so I was trying to find out what it was and thought it could’ve been that.
Anyhow, I think I’ll do that, might as well since I’ll have to remove the head, I’ll replace the valve stem guides and seals, and the rings, not sure if I’ll have to replace any pistons, hope not.
These cars are a money pit 🙃