GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High oil consumption (1L/1K miles)

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Hi guys,
So few weeks back I replaced my PCV valve with an oil catch can but recently I’ve noticed there’s some oil around the silicone DV relocation hoses that serve as an adapter to connect the TB to the TB pipe and where the housing for the DV is located, also see some oil coming out of the TB pipe where the MAP sensor goes, I’ve already checked and all hoses seem fine, no signs of tears, not sure if it might be related to my oil catch can but i noticed it started happening after I installed it. Any advice?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Check the catch can to see how often it fills up, and your oil level to make sure it doesn’t drop too fast. As long as neither is excessive you should be ok.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Check the catch can to see how often it fills up, and your oil level to make sure it doesn’t drop too fast. As long as neither is excessive you should be ok.
My oil level does drop kind of fast but that’s been happening forever, my understanding is that it’s quite normal in FSI engines to burn a lot of oil, I would lose like about 1 quart every 1000 miles or so
My catch can hasn’t filled up yet since I installed it

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
It's not normal unless there's wear. Mine loses 0.5L/5k miles. Mine did begin losing oil at near the same rate, but I rebuilt the head and installed new rings and rod bearings at 120k miles. If you were to replace the valve stem guides and seals...and perhaps new rings...the oil loss would be reduced.

The reason there is suddenly more oil where you mentioned at the throttle-body pipe, is because after the CC install, and deleting the PCV and the PCV to manifold tube, it no longer draws crankcase vapors directly into the intake manifold when in vacuum. It instead draws all crankcase vapors into the CC and then into the turbo inlet. It all goes through the boost plumbing to the inlet ports after that. Mentioning the CC isn't catching all that much makes me suspect its valve cover. When the sealed routes through the valve cover become unsealed...the CC is bypassed and vapors go straight to the turbo inlet.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
It's not normal unless there's wear. Mine loses 0.5L/5k miles. Mine did begin losing oil at near the same rate, but I rebuilt the head and installed new rings and rod bearings at 120k miles. If you were to replace the valve stem guides and seals...and perhaps new rings...the oil loss would be reduced.

The reason there is suddenly more oil where you mentioned at the throttle-body pipe, is because after the CC install, and deleting the PCV and the PCV to manifold tube, it no longer draws crankcase vapors directly into the intake manifold when in vacuum. It instead draws all crankcase vapors into the CC and then into the turbo inlet. It all goes through the boost plumbing to the inlet ports after that. Mentioning the CC isn't catching all that much makes me suspect its valve cover. When the sealed routes through the valve cover become unsealed...the CC is bypassed and vapors go straight to the turbo inlet.

how can I confirm it’s the valve cover? I replaced the valve cover gaskets at around 105k miles, I’m at 130k miles now, I don’t see any oil leaking around the head. And yes, I did find odd that the CC is not catching that much oil, since I installed it i’ve only had to empty it out once and it was very little amount, some kind of brown residue.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
He means the cover itself. There are channels in the cover for the PCV and EVAP that are held on with an adhesive of sorts. As the vehicle ages the adhesive can fail which results in a leak. If/when you do pick up a new cover from the dealer it will come with new screws and gasket pre-fitted...at least mine did.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You have to remove it and do your best to confirm the two passages(EVAP & crankcase ventilation) through it are still sealed.
This was mine...you plug one side the best you can and see if it holds fluid or air introduced at the other opening;

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
ok thanks, I will be checking that out, now that you mentioned it, when I replaced my spark plugs and coil packs not too long ago I did notice some oil inside two of the spark plugs wells, originally I thought this could've been from overfilling the engine with oil (which I did accidentally) so I didn't take it too seriously at the time, but now it starts to make sense it could all be related to the valve cover.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Depends on what catch can setup you have. The CTS cover looks like it deletes the front & rear ports for the PCV and EVAP so you'd need to get additional plumbing and fittings to make it all work with your existing setup which is likely designed to be used with an OEM cover and corresponding bits.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Depends on what catch can setup you have. The CTS cover looks like it deletes the front & rear ports for the PCV and EVAP so you'd need to get additional plumbing and fittings to make it all work with your existing setup which is likely designed to be used with an OEM cover and corresponding bits.

yes that's why I asked, it looks like it doesn't have those ports, think I might just go with OEM then, too many headaches with this car already...I rather play it safe. Thanks!

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Hi all,

It’s been a while but wanted to post an update, I finally got into replacing my valve cover, decided to go with another OEM one from the dealer. Now hopefully my high oil consumption issue is fixed 🤞I just filled up the oil again so let’s wait and see how it does a month from now...will keep you guys posted!

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
one more thing I just noticed....the TB silicone hoses keep getting oily, but looks like it only happens overnight for some reason, not when the car is running, I've been checking them after every drive and they're dry but then I check them again before I start the car in the morning to go to work and I notice a little bit of oil, just like moisture, condensation maybe? could this be normal?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Silicone hoses do sweat.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Silicone hoses do sweat.
that was my original thought but it's kinda weird I didn't notice this before, only after I installed the CC, maybe it's cause now it's drawing the crankcase vapors directly into the turbo inlet, which would make it more noticeable?

Last edited: