GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oh no.....

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Please tell me you didn't just find out Hitler was involved with the start of VW

Chris@RT

Banned
Hitler was also personal friends with Henry Ford. So what?

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things but i don't believe they were personal friends they were simply fond of each others work. And by work on hitlers side i don't mean killing people, he had some ideas that were a head of his time and he was able to pull them off, yes partially since he was killing and enslaving people.

Some of his plans make sense, he wanted a highway system that reached all over the country for his military but that was a waste, so make a car that everyone can afford and use the highway, enter the volkswagen. It was that stuff a lot of rich ass Americans and others around the world supported Hitler since he was keeping a bigger gap between rich and poor by having no middle class to threaten the rich. Later many of them were like oh wait what you were serious about that eliminating races part ok i'm out.

Exact same thing happens today, rising politician has ideas, convinces rich people they are right and gets their backing. Just much easier with technology these days to weed out the wack jobs.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
^^^I agree with you Chris. My family came over from Germany in the 50's & my opa(grandfather) served in a panzer division during WW2. He wasn't a nazi, but a conscripted soldier. I've always enjoyed the study of german history from medievel times to the present.

IMO hitler's biggest mistake was not learning from history. Any nation that persecutes the jews in the end is destroyed. Going way back to the Egyptians,Canaanites, Assyrians, Philistines, babylonians, Romans, etc...
Many jews served with distinction during WW1 & even Hitler was recommended for his iron cross from a jewish officer, talk about irony.

The whole time period is fascinating, just watch the history channel today it's WW2 24/7 though, I never forget the terrible price paid by all sides.

It's also amazing how much tech was developed in that era.

Chris@RT

Banned
It's also amazing how much tech was developed in that era.

Your comments made me think of this podcast:

http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blog/2010/nov/16/idea-time-come/

Didn't necessarily go into that time period specifically but discusses how not all inventions are by great inventors themselves but more so just the next logical step. Not to necessarily give credit to Hitler himself as any kind of great inventor but he sort of made shit happen and that set lots of wheels in motion. As unfortunate as war is and can be it is the reason a ton of stuff is invented which then leads to opportunity for more and more and more advancements. Because Hitler was efficient, out necessity and just because it was the next logical step those fighting him had to progress. Every little advancement allowed for more and more to come about.

Horrible era for humanity but great era for technology. Was it worth the loss in life, of course not, but some great stuff came from that time period.

There was a howstuffworks.com Cars podcast also that went into henry ford, I go to sleep listening to them and missed most of it but they did talk about some of his connection to hitler, anyone interested may want to look for that.