GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official PNW Chit-Chat Channel (NSFW): Round 4

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
I said "about" the same. The buckets a crap anyways. Go with a plastic better bottle (carboy). Seriously, the footprint isn't that different.

It's definitely worth going bigger.

billybobbovine

wants to go fast
Car(s)
GTI
1 week min. to ferment, though give another week or 2 for secondary. at least 2 weeks in the bottles, but I found that 3-4 made the difference in taste. They were carbonated in 2, but taste got better after that.

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
Can't get the photobucket to load now :(

First things I would want to do are mounts and tails to the ones i showed you the other day. IIRC I didnt think the suspension was that bad, maybe it was just the angle. I would have wanted to do H&Rs and it anyway since I love them on my GTI and loved what I had on my contour

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
1 week min. to ferment, though give another week or 2 for secondary. at least 2 weeks in the bottles, but I found that 3-4 made the difference in taste. They were carbonated in 2, but taste got better after that.

I would argue that 2 week fermentation is an absolute minimum, regardless of whether you use secondary or not.

the rest of that sounds good to me. A 2 week bottle carb is short, but some people may like a more cask-style feel.

Generally, there is no "average" in home brewing. It's entirely dependent on the style of beer. Lagers are the only beers that MIGHT have an average fermentation period. I'd call it 8 weeks. Not many people do lagers with longer fermentation times, but those that do... have extremely long periods. Bottle carbing (conditioning) adds another 3-4 weeks.

For Ales, the weaker the ABV and flavor, the shorter the time. A good IPA is going to take you 6 weeks from boil to drink, while a Porter or Stout is going to be more like 8-12 weeks.

I know you have a space concern, but a keg & tap setup will generally take nearly a month off of your wait time. The ability to cold crash is a huge benefit, too.

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
too bad it'll freeze, I have plenty of patio space :rolleyes:

I honestly just might pick up a mr. beer kit on the cheap just to see what it can do for a small batch. They're on sale at the liquor store by me for 25 bucks, wouldn't hurt to try. Once I get a little experience with that i'll step up to a classy set up.

If you're saying a keg will take off a month I might just have to make it work

billybobbovine

wants to go fast
Car(s)
GTI
then you need a fridget to cool the keg and so on. I wouldnt invest in kegging equipment until you figure out if you like brewing or not. IMO