GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official PNW Chit-Chat Channel (NSFW): Round 4

billybobbovine

wants to go fast
Car(s)
GTI
Get a copy of the Joy of Homebrewing and do some extract brewing. If you goto a homebrew store, most have a basic kit to get you started for ~150

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
Mr. Beer is how a lot of people get started in home brewing, but I wouldn't call that a plus. It almost always produces poor results and, like Scooter said, extract brewing doesn't take much.

All you NEED is a brew kettle (I want to say 5qt), carboy (5 1/2 gallons or bigger), airlock, food safe funnel, and maybe a grain bag if you're doing something that requires specialty grains (the better extract beers do).

you can get most of that for under $75 out the door, including your first batch of ingredients. Or, find someone who already brews, and do a few sessions with them until you fall in love with the art.

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
I just bought the book on amazon. I'm pretty concerned I wont have space for a lot of that stuff now that I think about it. I don't have a small apartment but really have no closet space left. Are there any options for smaller batches as opposed to 5 gallon buckets?

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
I keep my fermenting carboys in the bathroom. It's a sunlight free, constant temp room. works for me.

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
The ladyfriend already isn't happy with me taking up our closet space with tools lol. Trying to stay low on this one

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
realistically the 1 gallon jug will take up about the same amount of space...

and if you make a beer she likes, she can't complain!