GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Northern Illinois Thread (Part 2)

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Theres this guy, but I dont think you'll like it. Its so much nicer to have a sweeping needle to look at as opposed to a number with a loading bar thing. AWE makes a pretty good matching gage

BurninRubber

Fast's Pilot
Car(s)
'07 GTi
hey guys anybody done DP install before? i'm doin one this coming week, i'm in oakbrook area. was wondering if anybody is quick at them? or any tips if nobody can help me? please PM me if you have anything!

its raceland dp by the way. i do not have a 02 spacer yet but i'm trying to get a hold of one!!

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I did mine back in spring of 2007. Forgot what DIY I used, but you basically remove the engine cover if you have that and the bolts to remove are right by the firewall on the top side of the turbo. There may be bolts on the underside as well. Then you have to unbolt the part that mates to the CB. I don't think we had to remove the CB. My dad and I did it when my car was still on stock suspension and on ramps. With it being 2" lower now, I don't think it'd be possible. Two hands do help a lot though because trying to position it underneath the car is a royal pain in the ass. If you have access to a lift, I highly recommend that route.

How many miles are on your car? I worried about breaking a stud but I think my car only had 15k at the time. At 100k and 5 winters plus the heat, I don't know that I'd be so lucky. I actually worry about that when I go with a KO4, but you're replacing the turbo anyhow, so as long as I don't mangle the dp, I should be fine.

Check APR or something though, maybe they'll have a DIY.

BurninRubber

Fast's Pilot
Car(s)
'07 GTi
okay. i'm probably going to PB blast the bolts tonight. i have 61k on the clock! i knew that i had to PB blast them but was going to do it over night and then do the install! do i just spray on the bolts? i don't have to worry about it seeping into anything correct?

rodeopunk_je87

Silver Sleeper
hey guys anybody done DP install before? i'm doin one this coming week, i'm in oakbrook area. was wondering if anybody is quick at them? or any tips if nobody can help me? please PM me if you have anything!

its raceland dp by the way. i do not have a 02 spacer yet but i'm trying to get a hold of one!!

I took it to the Mexicans at a Chicago South Side muffler shop and they did it for $60.

:biggrin:

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB

its a simple straight forward job. make sure the engine is slightly warm that helps get the bolts off and use pb blaster. dont have to pb blast day before, stuff works in less then 15 minutes.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
pb blast them and drive around, and repeat few times for the next few days. Make sure you also get the clamp bolts (where the dp meets the exhaust), those might be pretty bad.

Giusep4

Sawwuce Bawse
i might take mine to velasquez and sons and just pay them haha.

The one on lake street in aurora??

Sent from my phone while I should be working or paying attention in class.

BurninRubber

Fast's Pilot
Car(s)
'07 GTi
there's TWO of them in DeKalb by NIU since i goto school there its probably easiest! but what happens if they destroy the bolts/nuts

rodeopunk_je87

Silver Sleeper
They'd have to be pretty stupid if they do. I mean they use impact tools which I personally think are better because they work kinda like ABS does by turning in tiny increments instead of one long one. If they manage to destroy your bolts, you probably would've too.